Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this sort of pertains to diapering and sort of just to parenting in general.

I was watching a show on discovery health with my mom about someone who had quads and they were going through the grocery store with them telling what they buy in a week. The usual...formula, baby food and diapers. Now, I'm not one to judge, especially with quads. If you need to use formula or sposies to save your sanity, that's perfectly reasonable. But one of the things they said was "3 tubes of diaper rash cream". I said, "3 tubes?! Oh that's nice" sarcastically of course. My mom says, "Now honey, not everyone thinks the way you do..." And I had to explain to her that it's not about cloth vs. disposable as a parenting choice. If you are going through almost a tube of diaper rash cream per baby, per week, it's safe to assume you are having diaper rash problems. And if the rashes are *that bad* maybe they should be looking at alternatives (not necessarily cd, but maybe a chemical free sposie). I don't know *anybody* who goes through almost a tube a week.

So I told my mom that when your child is has a chronic rash, that's where "parenting choices" end and "doing what's best for your baby despite your feelings" begins.

So maybe their kids don't have diaper rash at all. Maybe they unnecessarily slather cream on them just because they think that's what they are supposed to do. But I've seen too many people say that their kids have horrible reactions to the diapers but they just don't want to do cloth so they make the kids live with bleeding butts for 2+ years (gotta love those mainstream boards!).
:

I know if my son had chronic rash in cloth and no rash in sposies, I'd be shelling out the money to buy sposies, even though *I'm* allergic to them. It's not about me, it's about my son, ya know?

So am I wrong to think it's selfish to make a kid live with a rash? Forget about these quads, since I really do not know if they have rashes or not. Just any baby (or babies). Am I being too judgemental?

And if I am being too judgemental, sorry. It's just that I used to get horrible rashes from sposie pads and it took over a week to clear up each month and I was *miserable* the whole time. It's no fun having a booty rash.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wonder if the "3 tubes of diaper rash cream" was just for the show, to make it look sensational? I had twins and I dont' think I ever went through 1 tube of cream the whole time they were in diapers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hate to say this... but I was that type. For EVERY diaper change, we had to slather her up w/ aquaphor, or my dd would get a red tushie. Not a full on rash (or, at least, we never let it get to that point), but you know what I'm talking about. And, sad to say, I didn't realize for several months that this wasn't normal! When we went to her appt's at the ped, they acted as if it was normal, and just told us to use aquaphor. It wasn't until my sister came to visit w/ my niece (who is 5 months older) that I realized the truth. I changed my niece, and was surprised at how non-irritated her tushie was (without aquaphor, no less!!), and asked my sister when the red tushie phase ended. She had no idea what I was talking about! It was THEN that I realized that it wasn't normal for everyone. And I'm a reasonably intelligent individual (I think!).

I now kick myself for how dumb I was about this. It then took 5 more months (...and many types of diapers ....and many jars of aquaphor) before I tried cloth. Lo and behold... no red tushie! And I haven't looked back since.

So, this is my long winded way of saying, maybe they don't know that there are options that would make the diaper creme not necessary... I know that sounds pathetic, but trust me, it's possible. :-D

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My mom cloth diapered me and i always got horrible diaper rash....it is just my sensative skin
So perhaps the babes have overly sensitive skin

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I hear ya.
My youngest reacted so badly to disposables (after a 3 week trip overseas) that it took MONTHS to heal. It was then that I really read up on sposies (we had been "out & about" or "for the sitter" occassional sposie users prior to that) & vowed NEVER to use another one ever.
After that I always noticed friends' babes in sposies w/rashes & mentioned that it could be from the dipes. Not once was I able to convince someone to "go to the bother" or "do the extra work" involved with cloth.

It's hard not to be judgemental when (from an AP mama's point of view) it really seems like they just don't love their baby enough.

·
Registered
717 Posts
hee! my dd is 2 and i'm still using the first tube of plain old a&d ointment that came home from the hospital with her

however, every single disposable diaper user I know, puts cream on whether or not the kid has a rash. I have to do it to dd though or she WILL get a rash, so maybe they know something i don't know...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
that's sad....my 1st dd used to get terrible rashes (food issues) and it took me FOR-ever to figure out why...in the process I switched to cloth in case it was the diapers that irritated her, and it seemed to help, though the rashes never disappeared until we did a diet overhaul....anyways, I feel bad for the children with chronic rashes, it used to just make me cry when my dd's behind was all red and I couldn't fix it

·
Registered
617 Posts
:
hmmm all this red rumped diaper rash talk makes me think that it's the diapers causing the diaper rash...
Elimination communication..
:
:

THE EC bandit has struck here!!!!

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nmm2112
:
hmmm all this red rumped diaper rash talk makes me think that it's the diapers causing the diaper rash...
:
:

THE EC bandit has struck here!!!!

Yeah, by "alternatives" I meant anything including EC. I couldn't imagine EC'ing quads though. If I'd known about EC when DS was younger, I would have made more of an effort to do it. I didn't know until he was 6 months, didn't get a chance to try it (big move and craziness going on) until he was 8 months and it just didn't work out for us. Now, I let him go diaperless a lot and just clean up messes. He never has diaper rash. Even these past ten days in sposies (I'm on vacation, including vacation from laundry
: ), he doesn't have even the tiniest bit or redness. It's weird because he has sensitive skin everywhere else to the point I can't even use baby wash on him in the bath. Weird.

No need to feel
: for mentioning EC. It's a valid point. No diapers=no diaper rash. If DS had chronic diaper rash in cloth, I'd use sposies and if he had chronic diaper rash in sposies too, I'd EC. I just want my baby to be comfy.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm embarrassed to say, Bella is just as rashy in cloth as she was in sposies. And I change her as soon as I notice she is wet, let her go nakey or coverless. Poor baby. I use cream probably 1/4 of the changes and no way could I go through a bottle in less than a couple of months.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I saw that too, I was thinking wow alot of rash cream!! Must be allergic to disposables. But, then again I can't imagine diapering that many kids, if its the show Im thinking about, she had quads and was pregnant with triplets again or something like that.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nmm2112
:
:
Exactly! My babe was out of diapers (exept for the night) since 10.5 m.o.
People in Russia (it's where I'm originally from) do NOT believe me when I tell them that here kids wear diapers until 3-3.5 years of age. In russia it's pretty much a norm to jump out of diapers by the first birthday.
People ask me how come that toddlers that can already talk can not be explained that potty/toilet is a place for pee & poo...I have no idea what to answer as I have normally the same very question to ask

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2cassie
I hate to say this... but I was that type. For EVERY diaper change, we had to slather her up w/ aquaphor, or my dd would get a red tushie. Not a full on rash (or, at least, we never let it get to that point), but you know what I'm talking about. And, sad to say, I didn't realize for several months that this wasn't normal! When we went to her appt's at the ped, they acted as if it was normal, and just told us to use aquaphor. It wasn't until my sister came to visit w/ my niece (who is 5 months older) that I realized the truth. I changed my niece, and was surprised at how non-irritated her tushie was (without aquaphor, no less!!), and asked my sister when the red tushie phase ended. She had no idea what I was talking about! It was THEN that I realized that it wasn't normal for everyone. And I'm a reasonably intelligent individual (I think!).

I now kick myself for how dumb I was about this. It then took 5 more months (...and many types of diapers ....and many jars of aquaphor) before I tried cloth. Lo and behold... no red tushie! And I haven't looked back since.

So, this is my long winded way of saying, maybe they don't know that there are options that would make the diaper creme not necessary... I know that sounds pathetic, but trust me, it's possible. :-D

Just my thoughts...
Ya know, I think you're on to something.

I, myself, have very sensitive skin. As a baby, I was mainly in sposies and had awful rashes. My mom slathered my butt in vaseline and Desitin for every single diaper change. Now, I have no idea what things would have been like had I been CD'd (sposies were fairly new and my mom thought she was being "progressive" by using them), but I do know that I've had skin issues my entire life.

Then, when I started menstrating I used disposable pads and tampons. Every month I got the most horrendous rash and itch, but somehow I thought it was normal. I even bought tubes of Desitin to use on myself, things were so bad. I thought everyone was like that, I guess. And this went for 15 years until I finally switched to mama cloth. I haven't been this comfortable in my life!

I'm so thankful, however, that my DD is completely the opposite from me! No rash, ever, even when she was in sposies for the first 9 mos of her life.

So my long-winded post was just to say that I think that most people either a) think the rash is normal or b) realize it's not normal but know any alternatives and just resign themselves to the fact they have to use cream at every change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts