Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to go see World Trade Center with Dh last night, and while it was very well done, it was loud and scary. Not something anyone would bring a young child to right???

WRONG!!!! There was a woman in the row in front of my with her 4 year old! Now, I have an issue with keeping my mouth shut, but I wanted to ask her "What the hell are you thinking????"

Does anyone else think this was wrong????

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've often wondered what people are thinking when they bring young children to a movie that is loud, scary, violent, whatever. Especially when the movie is obviously longer than the child's attention span or way above their comprehension. I've got no problem with parents allowing their kids to see movies that are rated higher than their age, especially if they see it with them, but really think that would almost always be handled better at home on DVD, so they can answer questions, escape if they're scared, do other things while watching, turn the movie off if necessary.

Maybe this child is precocious and has been asking questions about 9-11? Maybe they discussed it with him in advance, maybe they know someone who was there, maybe, maybe, maybe... Who knows. I personally don't think I'd take a young child to a movie like that (especially that one, since the "this is just movie magic, it's pretend not real" explanation does NOT work for this one as the story IS real), but if people feel it's right for their kid I'm not going to say anything.

A co-worker of mine asked me if the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie was OK for a 3 year old! I personally don't think so, but I guess it depends on the parent and kid. I absolutely LOVE both the Pirates movies, but when I have kids we'll stick to storybooks and the ride at WDW until he/she's older. I'd even want to wait on the Harry Potter movies until a little older than 4, I think, since the stories mature so much each time - each one is aimed for an older audience as the readers mature with the characters. Those coming later will have to adjust to that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.