Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to share this. Some of you might already know about lavender and burns but I had no idea.

Last night, I splashed some scalding hot soup on my neck and foot. I washed it with cold water as quickly as I could but the damage was done. The burn on my neck was pretty bad. About the size of a large coffee cup and it covered the side of my neck and chest/shoulder. The blister part in the middle was a very angry, puffy looking wound about the size of a silver dollar.

The one on my foot was bad because a scalding hot carrot landed on my foot burning the top of my foot and several toes. Again, it was a large, blistering area.

If you've ever had a bad burn, you know how painful it is and how it can last for days and days.

So anyway, I posted on my soap board about what to do to treat a fresh burn and I was told to put lavender essential oil on it immediately.

I did this and I can not tell you how miraculous the difference was. Within 15 minutes, the pain had significantly subsided and the redness was also greatly improved. As the night went on, I continued to put it on several more times. By this morning, the inflamation was completely gone, the surrounding redness was completely gone and I had no pain at all. All that was left was the blistered areas in the center and they had flattened out and were not painful - they were tender but definitely not painful.

By this evening, the burn on my foot is almost completely healed. The one on my neck, I actually forgot was there and I scratched it which pulled off the skin covering the blister so that skin was exposed. I mixed some lavender EO with some aloe vera gel and applied that and it's so soothing and calming.

I am just so amazed, I had to pass this on. Like I said, some of you might already know this but I didn't so I wanted to make sure I passed this on in case anyone out there every has a bad burn and needs some help.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
very interesting! and good to know!!

so did you use the LO straight, or did you mix it with something? if so, what are the proportions?

burns are terrible! i have had my share, that's for sure, but wow! it must have hurt so bad when you spilled that soup. so glad you were able to get some relief!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Thanks for the story! Love hearing about how great essential oils are.

Word to the wise - lavender can safely be applied undiluted to an adult's skin, but it's just about the only oil that can be used this way (tea tree in small amounts for first aid purposes is the only other one, I think). So be careful with your other EOs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.