Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So the last time I was with my older nephews I took them to the library. With the intent of getting books about your body and safety and such. I got this book and a few others and I was wondering how you deal with/plan to/or dealt with body issues when kids are about 3-5?

But the reason I bring up THIS book specifically is because when I checked it out I had only flipped thru the first pages I think. When I started reading it, the pictures and words made me uncomfortable, I kept reading, but I just skipped some words. The book says it is meant for preschoolers, but...I don't know... how much are kids supposed to know about their bodies?

So how do you deal with body issues & what do you think is acceptable/unacceptable for certain ages?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I bought this for my 4 1/2 y.o. and she loved/loves it. I think preschoolers should have all the information they need - she was asking questions and was clearly curious about her body and where babies come from. I want her to have the proper information and feel comfortable coming to me with her questions.

If she doesn't get the info from me, who will she get it from?

My only quibbles with this book are that the picture of the penis is circ'ed
: and the pictures of the baby being born are very stereotypical (mom on back, dr. in facemask delivering baby...)

anyway, I think preschoolers respond well to matter of fact answers to questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.