Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke yesterday a few minutes before 4 am, with some cramping. I thought perhaps I just needed to peed really badly. lol Peeing didn't help, and then it occured to be that this might be a braxton hick contraction. But it stuck around. I'd have a few minutes of peace and then I'd be very unconfortable again. I decided to take a shower to see if that would help, but by the end of my half-hour shower, the pains were stronger than when I'd gone in. I realised that they were sorta regular, about every 4-5 mintues, and getting stronger all the while.
At this point, I decided to drive to the hospital, even though it was way too early, and I'd no other signs of impending labor. (Well, later I realised that what I thought was a bit of leaking pee in the night was probably a slight draining of some amniotic fluid.) I had never had the 'bloody show,' but two weeks ago I did lose some of what my have been a mucous plug.
Anyway, it was about 4 am when I woke up with the first pains, and about 6 am when we finally got to the hospital and was examined. The doctor said I was 3 or 4 centimeteres dialated already! The pains were quite strong (perhaps due to how quickly things were moving along), and I just spend some time trying to deal with them. They did give me some med through the iv, but I had no epidural. When they checked again, I was 8 centemeteres dialated, and then a short while later, they said it was time to push. Her head was right there, but I didn't feel the compulsion to push. But at the same time, it seemed like the thing to do. I guess I just expected my body to really 'know' what to do. It felt more like I had to command myself to push, even though I wanted to take a nap instead; I was so tired.
But push I did, and withing four contractions, she was born. It was so quick! And that was when my amniotic sac finally broke all the way. There was a great splash, and it was done. I gave birth a 8:08 am, four hours after waking up with 'cramping.'
Amelia was about 17 inches, and she weighs 4 lbs and 12 oz. She was transfered to Dartmouth, where she is in the ICN, but we should be able to go home in three days, barring any infections or anything. But she's fine now, really, they are just being cautious.
What a day yesterday! I'm here at the hospital with her, just taking a break to write this post and try pumping again. Anyway, I just wanted to share. What a surreal last few hours.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
CONGRATS!!!

YAY! Welcome Baby Amelia! What a whirlwind birth! Woah! Glad she's doing well and you are too!
How many weeks were you? Wow!

wishing you a happy babymoon and healthy baby to take home very soon!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I was 34 weeks and 6 days. So the was about five weeks early. She looks so cute. She's sleeping so much now (naturally), but sometimes she peeks her eyes open a little and looks around. I can't wait to take her home.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Congratulations! So glad that it went quickly, safely, and that she and you are both fine. Our "premie" was just a bit bigger and older than yours and he is a healthy happy monster now at 2 1/2! Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Wow, congratulations, and welcome to baby Amelia.
:

Thanks for sharing your birth story. That was a really fast labor! Was it your first?

Glad to hear she's doing well. Hope you get to take her home in just a coupla days!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.