Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Over the past 15 years, the number of failed scans linked to patient obesity has doubled, Radiology journal reports.

The problem is not confined to scanners. UK hospitals have had to make their beds stronger for obese patients.

And airlines are designing aircraft to carry heavier loads because passengers are becoming plumper.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5219884.stm



How about we make Nutrition a part of curriculums???
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,133 Posts
Quote:
The US government says 64% of the population are overweight.
If over half the population is too large for the scanners/x-rays, maybe they should make them bigger. Why chastise obese ppl and deny them proper treatment just because of less than half the population is not overweight? Also, if obesity has the health problems they are saying it has, then that means more than half of the population is NOT getting the necessary treatments.

Honestly, if over half the population is larger than the rest, doesn't it make sense to build things to their size? It's a well-known fact that smaller objects can fit inside larger objects, kwim?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,264 Posts
I think the problem in part MITB is that obesity like it is in America now is a newer (in the last 70 years or so) phenomenon. You have 8 year olds over 100 lbs and while still not the "norm" it's also not unheard of.

The younger you are when you reach obesity the more likely you are to stay that way. So the rise in adolescent obesity is really shaping up to a large number of obese adults.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pynki
I think the problem in part MITB is that obesity like it is in America now is a newer (in the last 70 years or so) phenomenon. You have 8 year olds over 100 lbs and while still not the "norm" it's also not unheard of.

The younger you are when you reach obesity the more likely you are to stay that way. So the rise in adolescent obesity is really shaping up to a large number of obese adults.
All the more reason to make the machines fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,264 Posts
Or perhaps to teach nutrition classes in schools and legislate or contact your legislators for healthier school lunches.

When I was a kid McDonalds was not a balanced healthy meal. How many parents today think it is?

Going with an unhealthy trend isn't going to improve a society's health.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
All the more reason, IMO, to make PE mandatory again and teach proper nutrition to children. Obesity is not healthy, even if it's not the fault of the obese person.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pynki
Or perhaps to teach nutrition classes in schools and legislate or contact your legislators for healthier school lunches.

When I was a kid McDonalds was not a balanced healthy meal. How many parents today think it is?

Going with an unhealthy trend isn't going to improve a society's health.
Yes, I know, but I also know that it is NOT going to change overnight. Why deny healthcare based on weight, especially when over HALF the population is said to be overweight?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,264 Posts
I'm afraid that it would normalize an unnatural phenomanon. Like why smoking is being banned in cities. Because it's unhealthy to everyone. An unhealthily heavy population breeds health problems. Literally.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sisyphus
All the more reason, IMO, to make PE mandatory again and teach proper nutrition to children. Obesity is not healthy, even if it's not the fault of the obese person.
I attended a college prep school for the wealthy. Believe me, they had top of line food for lunch, sports was required, and yet, there were still overweight students. We also had mandatory Health and Nutrition class.
I am saying that your suggestion, even when implemented, is NOT the answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
It's faster to get folks to lose weight (and cheaper) and pay attention to their health than to expect EVERY hospital and clinic in the US to buy bigger machines (and to expect the manufacturers to MAKE them that fast).

Please. Yes, fat is a dirty word in the US and unfairly so in many instances. But don't tell me it's "discrimination".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,952 Posts
I'm with MITB. If it's really true that obesity causes health problems, then there should be a public health initiative to make sure that medical equipment fits large people!

There are a lot of things we could do to reduce obesity in this country that are legitimate public health solutions. For example:

*we could make sure that poor people have enough to eat all the time, and not just some of the time, since there seems to be evidence that the feast-famine feeding pattern of food insecurity is correlated to obesity.

*we could make sure that all children who attend public school get to go to gym class, get to play sports

*the federal government could give grants to communities that want to install safe playgrounds in public parks

* we could give tax breaks to supermarkets that are located in low-income neighborhoods, so that people at every income level can have access to healthy food

*we could subsidize farmer's markets in major urban areas, again giving more people access to healthful food

you know? it's not all about blaming fat people for eating fast food because they are too dumb to know better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
No one is blaming fat people.

ANd I agree with your suggestions.


But where exactly is all the money to BUY these new machines going to come from??? Especially if, as you are inferring, the greatest need will be in the poorest areas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sisyphus
It's faster to get folks to lose weight (and cheaper) and pay attention to their health than to expect EVERY hospital and clinic in the US to buy bigger machines (and to expect the manufacturers to MAKE them that fast).

Please. Yes, fat is a dirty word in the US and unfairly so in many instances. But don't tell me it's "discrimination".
What? it's faster and cheaper to get folks to lose weight?

Really?

how do you figure?

Sure sounds like discrimination to me!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by captain optimism
I'm with MITB. If it's really true that obesity causes health problems, then there should be a public health initiative to make sure that medical equipment fits large people!

There are a lot of things we could do to reduce obesity in this country that are legitimate public health solutions. For example:

*we could make sure that poor people have enough to eat all the time, and not just some of the time, since there seems to be evidence that the feast-famine feeding pattern of food insecurity is correlated to obesity.

*we could make sure that all children who attend public school get to go to gym class, get to play sports

*the federal government could give grants to communities that want to install safe playgrounds in public parks

* we could give tax breaks to supermarkets that are located in low-income neighborhoods, so that people at every income level can have access to healthy food

*we could subsidize farmer's markets in major urban areas, again giving more people access to healthful food

you know? it's not all about blaming fat people for eating fast food because they are too dumb to know better.
:
Excellent points.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,346 Posts
Teaching proper nutrition to children in public schools is all well and good but they need to remove fast food restaurants from providing school lunches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,560 Posts
Pynki said:
IThe younger you are when you reach obesity the more likely you are to stay that way.
Pynki, do you have a study on this? I'm personally curious because I have a big kid. Most of the big kids in my family don't turn into obese adults. In fact, I've seen no particular correlation. So, I really interested to see a study showing that for the US population big kids = big adults.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Ultrasound images were affected the most because the sound waves need to penetrate the skin and fatty tissue before reaching the organs being examined.

The study authors warned that important diagnoses could be missed if people could not be scanned.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5219884.stm

It's not always a problem with the machine. The X-ray machines I've unfortunately come in contact with did not include tubes like MRIs.

We need kids in gym class more than once a week. I very much understand not blaming the obese. I come from a long line of Hypothyroid patients and am going through the testing for it myself. But overall, this country needs an overhaul with regards to eating habits and exercise. Have you tried lately to find affordable bread at the store that doesn't include HFCS? It's in freaking EVERYTHING. Cheap filler for company profits. And that's hurting us big time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by captain optimism
I'm with MITB. If it's really true that obesity causes health problems, then there should be a public health initiative to make sure that medical equipment fits large people!

There are a lot of things we could do to reduce obesity in this country that are legitimate public health solutions. For example:

*we could make sure that poor people have enough to eat all the time, and not just some of the time, since there seems to be evidence that the feast-famine feeding pattern of food insecurity is correlated to obesity.

*we could make sure that all children who attend public school get to go to gym class, get to play sports

*the federal government could give grants to communities that want to install safe playgrounds in public parks

* we could give tax breaks to supermarkets that are located in low-income neighborhoods, so that people at every income level can have access to healthy food

*we could subsidize farmer's markets in major urban areas, again giving more people access to healthful food

you know? it's not all about blaming fat people for eating fast food because they are too dumb to know better.
Yup, good points. Most of America's obesity epidemic is due to malnutrition, inadequeate education, lack of exercise, overeating, the popularization of fast food, and in some cases, is genetic. Those cases in which it is genetic in my opinion are the ones who would benefit most from medical procedures designed to reduce weight. Most of us however, could due to just eat better, exercise more, and stop eating at fast food joints. I stopped eating fast food over a year ago, and even then I barely ate it. My kids get McDonals RARELY...like once a year. Since we are poor and can't afford to get everything organic, I buy only most of the essentials from organic food markets, like organic meat, which has less fat and no growth hormones, and fresh fruits and vegetables, and milk when we drink it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
I used to be an x-ray tech. A big part of the problem isn't just that people don't fit in the machines, but the x-rays can't pentrate as well, and the films don't come out very good. There are a lot of things that could be missed on overweight people (like me
.

I think we need to deal with all the unhealthy crap they can put in most food that helps cause obseity like msg and corn syrup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,824 Posts
I don't think it's a simple as buying different machines. By what they say I get the feeling that standard x-rays are not POWERFUL enough to use on some people. SO- I would guess that to have a more powerful machine might be more dangerous. So skinny people get a safe x-ray (if the hospital can afford two machines) and larger people get a less safe one? I agree that the solution is a complicated one and I don't have the answers. But I do agree that blaming people won't fix anything.

-Angela
 
1 - 20 of 124 Posts
Top