Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife told me that she would love an app with the functionality to track the bus of your children. I wanted to gauge the interest of the parenting community! It would be useful to be able to track bus locations if you're running late or in unforgiving weather. Would you use this app? I'm seriously considering funding it as a gift to the parenting community.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Schools would never allow that but honestly, most parents who give their kids smartphones already can do that.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
No, I would make a plan with my child for what to do if he gets home and nobody is there. (He does not take a school bus--he walks--but we do have such a plan: Go to his friend across the street whose dad is home. If her dad were not home, she would come to our house. Odds of both dads being delayed on the same day are quite low.) If his bus were late, especially if I could see bad weather, I would not worry for at least half an hour.

I commute to work by public transit, and my partner's parents have repeatedly fretted about how can the rest of the family know when I will get home, if I can't text them updates on where I am? I don't get it--we all survived the years when technology did not make that possible! I get home between 6:00 and 7:00, usually before 6:30, but if I'm later it must be that there's heavy traffic or some other problem. If something's truly wrong, I'll call them or the authorities will, so unless that happens there is no point worrying.

Life is more peaceful when you don't feel like you have to monitor everyone every moment.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My school district has that app - it's less useful than you might think, because they assign kids to bus stops up to half a mile from home. Most people have to leave home before the point where it would be clear that the bus is behind schedule, so the app doesn't keep kids from waiting in the rain or cold.

The key thing is that you have to get the school district on board. The bus drivers union treated the existence of the app as a change in contract terms, there were student privacy issues... it took a ton of time to launch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts