Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just learned how to knit and am making my first scarf. I am only using the knit stitch because it's all I know (so far).
My problem is that with each new row I'm getting an extra loop
: . Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?? Has this ever happened to you?? I tried dropping the top stitch but then it looks stupid...should I just treat the top two loops like one everytime?? Thank you SO MUCH for any help!!!

Lacey

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I'm a bit confused by what you mean by top stitch - do you mean the first stitch?

My guess is that you're wrapping your yarn around the needle each time you turn. When you turn your needle to start the next row, watch where your yarn goes - it should stay underneath the needle, not wrap around it.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboroson
I'm a bit confused by what you mean by top stitch - do you mean the first stitch?

My guess is that you're wrapping your yarn around the needle each time you turn. When you turn your needle to start the next row, watch where your yarn goes - it should stay underneath the needle, not wrap around it.
I'm betting that's probably what's going on. I was having that happen when I first started, only mine was every purl row I did. lol

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I teach beginning knitting, and this is what you are probably doing (I've seen a lot in my students make this mistake). When you turn your knitting, make sure the working yarn (the yarn attached to your ball) is coming off your needles at the bottom of the needle before bringing it under your needle and to the back to start knitting. If you bring the yarn up and over the top of the needle, before you bring it to the back to start knitting, that first stitch turns on the needle and looks like two stitches, thus you'll knit an extra stitch at the beginning of each row and end up with a triangular scarf.

I hope this makes sense. It's easier to explain in person than via writing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.