Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 40 week checkup this morning. I have gained 24.5 pounds so far. My blood pressure was 139/93 when taken sitting up, but it was 121/64 lying down. My dh thinks this means I'm dehydrated, even though I'm drinking 70-90 ounces of water a day.
Baby's heartrate is still in the 130's. My cervix is still 40 % effaced, although it went from closed at 38 wks, 1/2 cm dilated at 39 wks, to 1 cm today.
Last week fundal height was 39 cm, but this week it is only 38.5. I know that could be due to the person measuring, but I was wondering also, since the baby feels lower, could she have dropped? How would I know?

Once again, I didn't have to make the decision to allow stripping of the membranes or not, since my cervix is not dilated enough, anyway.

I'm still trying to make final preparations for the new baby. I actually sewed today (I don't particularly like sewing). I sewed buttons that fell off the nursing flap of a nursing dress I own, so it will be ready for breastfeeding.

With my first dd, I was leaking colostrum for a few weeks before she was born. I am not leaking any at all this time. Does this mean my hormones are not yet prepared to deliver my baby? Does this mean I will have even more difficulty nursing than I did last time (it took a week for my milk to come in)?

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
This will be my fourth birth, and already it is different than the other three. One thing I have learned is that previous pregnancies/births do NOT dictate how the current one will play out. Pretty much all bets are off!!!

Yes, if the measurements are small, it could definitely mean that the baby has dropped {{fingers crossed}}.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today, I am 40 wks + 3 days. I have been feeling absolutely exhausted all day, like I can't move and can hardly keep my eyes open. All I've done, besides a couple household chores, and of course, feeding and chasing Abigail around, is sit on the couch and watch TV, old Judging Amy reruns.
I started losing my mucus plug last night and I've had diarrhea all day. I've heard these are signs of progress.

Our refrigerator quit working yesterday, so tonight, my dh is driving up to Wasilla to hopefully pick one up we saw advertised for free on freecycle. She says it is 17 cubic foot, I hope it's decent enough. The last thing we need now is no food. I think I need to go take a nap before Abigail wakes up. It's 6:38 pm here.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I leaked with DS1 but not with "DS2" [that's the first time I've typed that!]

A couple of weeks ago, about a week before he was born, I was able to express a little colustrum but nothing like the first preg.

With a broken-down fridge and how exhausted you feel, Murphy's Law predicts you will go into labor at any moment! :LOL
[I was so exhausted on Sat/Sun before I went into Labor in the wee hours Tuesday morn.]

Hang in there, Mamma!

TRUST YOUR BODY and YOUR BABY!

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had my nonstress test today, my doula came with me. The appointment was at 11 am, and by 12:30 it was complete. The baby put on quite a show, was very active, wiggling her body, scrunching her shoulders, turning her head, blinking her eyes... her heartrate started out in hte 160's then balanced out in the 150's, although at all prior visits her heartrate was in the 130's and she was inactive. She must have known we were looking at her.

Then I was told to wait for the doctor to come in and go over NST and birthplan with me. We waited until 1 and then my doula went to see what was the holdup. She was told the doctor was in surgery and would be in soon.Well, by 1:30, I left to take my doula back (her husband needed to be to work at 1 so she needed to be with their kids), and they said I HAD to come back today. So, I went back. The doctor asked if I'd like her to do an exam.. I said yes, I just can't fight off the curiosity... and I was 1.5 cm dilated (a half cm more than 4 days ago.. at this rate I'll be 50 wks pregnant befor I"m dilated all the way... just kidding). She asked if I wanted her to strip my membranes and I said no, so she didn't.
Then she went over my birth plan and finished by telling me that if I don't have my baby by next friday, they would induce me, even though they prefer not to induce with VBAC. If that didn't work, they would force me to have a cesarean. After I left and sat thinking about it, I started to cry. I just don't want another cesarean! I want to know what it's like to give birth to my own child.

On top of that, I had a stressful situation occur with dh's ex... she filed a restraining order against me preventing me from picking up stepson for my husband's weekend visitation, also saying that he couldn't be in my house if dh didn't get me out of it....
: all because she doesn't like me or the fact that I'm having a 2nd daughter with her exhusband.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went in for my NST and her amniotic fluid levels were down to 1.8 (normal is 5-8). The dr wanted to induce, so dh and I went home to get things and have neighbor take care of our dog. When we got back to the hospital, the baby's heartrate was no longer in the 150's. It dropped to 120's. Then to 88, then to 60, then down to 50. I had to have an emergency c-section. It turns out the umbilical cord was very thin, so she hadn't been getting enough oxygen.
Sophia was born at 12:48 pm on Tuesday, August 22nd. She was just 5 pounds 8 ounces and 19.5 inches long (my other daughter was same length, but 9 pounds, 9 ounces). Her head circumference was just 12.5 cm, and her chest just 11.5 cm. She has brown hair and looks like her blue eyes will change to brown, like mine. She is so tiny, she doesn't fit into newborn diapers or the cloth diapers I have and all the newborn clothes are too big for her. She is a very quiet baby. Abigail loves her and tries to help take care of her, pets her head softly, gives her kisses and little hugs, tries to give her a pacifier if she cries and whines and points at her if she makes any noise.
The day after she was born her weight was 5 # 7 oz, the third day, when we left the hospital, she was 5# 3 ounces and yesterday my dh took her in for a weight check and she was still 5 # 3 oz, but had gained a few grams. My milk has come in already and she is nursing very well. Our first night home, she woke every 1.5 hours to eat. Last night, she slept straight from 12:30 am to 5:30 am. Since she's so full of milk, she sleeps really well. I am lucky with this baby. She is so quiet and easy.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
What a story! I'm glad she's nursing so well. She'll gain some weight soon I'm sure.
Welcome little Sohpia!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Oh Abi's mom, I am so sorry that you didn't get to try for the vbac you so wanted. Hugs to you. I am glad to hear that baby is doing well. Be sure to take things easy as you recover from your surgery.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
So glad that everything turned out for the best. Enjoy your tiny baby. My dd was 5lb 5oz. I can barely imagine it now. My 6.5 lb little guy still doesn't fit in any dipes other than Swaddlers and even most of his preemie outfits are too big. Try sleep sacks. If she doesn't slip out through the neck hole they are ideal for tiny babies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.