Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I awoke this morning a burning question came to my mind and I can't get rid of it. It's not really important to my pregnancy, and won't have impact on my life, but damn, am I curious!

When pregnant, where do your fallopian tubes and ovaries go?

Not meaning that they disappear or anything, but do they travel up your abdominal cavity with the growth of your uterus? That makes sense, yet it seems funny that my ovaries would be up in my rib cage by the end! The picture I have of my reproductive organs is like a sesame street character. The uterus is the head, and the ovaries the eyes bugging off on these little stalks that are fallopian tubes. Then once you deliver, do they just slide right on down again? Ouch! That's a lot of travel and squishyness for such little things! LOL

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've thought of this before and wondered the same thing!

I'm glad you reminded me...my best friend is an MD (in residency for urology, but still ought to know, right?) and I'll be seeing her this weekend over the holiday so I'll have to remember to ask her!

I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I vote for they stay in the same place and the uterus expands, they look, in anatomy picutures, to be attached to the narrower part further down.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I think they stay low down... the reason I say this is I only have one ovary (my left), and I can feel where it is, it's sensitive to press down there. The other side, where I lost an ovary, has no such sensitive spot. It's low down and off to the side...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, I'm sorry...I asked my MD friend and she said "I don't know, that's a good question!"
Her guess was that they travel some because she said sometimes women can develop a twisted fallopian tube during pregnancy, but she really doesn't know.

SO, in my quest to get to the bottom of this, I'll ask my ultrasound tech in a couple weeks when I get my 19-week US. She HAS to know!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And the mystery continues... ColinsMommy, You're the best! Thanks for continuing to follow up on this. I've been asking people too, and no one seems to really know, although there have been a bunch of guesses.

That's a good idea - the ultrasound person. If I decide to get one done, I'll ask them too. I did actually schedule it, but don't really know if I'm gonna go through with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.