Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like we have a 90% chance that DH is going to be transferring to Anchorage. I really, really, really (did I mention I really) don't want to move. We just put a butt load of money into this house, and we won't be able to recoop it when we leave. DHs job there would be a 1k a month raise, but that would get eaten up and then some in housing

I've been searching the web for properties in Anchorage. Prices are pretty high! At this point it looks like the only thing we'd be able to afford is a zero lot line
Does anyone live in one of those?? They appear to have about a million new ones out there. I've just lived in my house, on 5 acres in the middle of no where for so long, the thought of having a neighbor on the other side of your wall saddens me.

Does anyone have a DH/SO that commutes from the valley?? DH would be working at the courthouse. He mentioned we could look in Palmer/Wasilla as the prices on houses seem to be better out there, but that seems like a helluva long commute each day.

I've been to Anchorage a million times on business and for shopping, but I've never paid attention to neighborhoods. What is desirable for a family, etc. The only thing I do know is to stay out of mountainview.

Does anyone know an AP friendly ped?? (I say AP friendly meaning, bf'ing, self directed weaning, co sleeping, etc.) Any AP playgroups???

We have to go to Anchorage next week for DH work related stuff so I was thinking about starting to look at property then, but I'm still not certain which areas I should stay away from.

Sorry to ramble... I just have about a million and one thoughts running through my mind right now

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Totally depends.
I have lots of friends who commute and are happy. Personally, I'd hate to give up that much of my time to travel. But...tradeoff. We live on Hillside so have the "wooded" feel. But, I have friends who LOVE living in tiny houses downtown or ROger's Park area b/c it's central and so convenient.

Yeah, there are tons of cheap, new, ZLLs going in. And, icky new prefabs; ie. the Birdhouses on Raspberry.

We have a reg. pediatrician who tolerates us
And, a great naturopath. Yep, I see tons of crunchy looking moms around town; ie. at the zoo, the library, etc. Just hook up w/someone happy looking at one of your outings

There is a playground "group" starting up this week. I feel comfortable mentioning it b/c it's been posted around to a bunch of groups. PM me if you want the list--it's starting this Weds and each week goes to a diff. playground.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My dh commutes 5 days a week from the valley and it sucks. However, I would take a look around the Palmer fairgrounds or Kepler-Bradley lakes area because it would be a much shorter commute, especially right into downtown Anchorage. We looked into moving back into Anchorage now that #2 is on the way, so we could have more family time. It only took a couple days of looking at what we could afford to kill that idea. For most people, losing the cost of the commute would balance it out a bit. But dh has a company truck and gas card so it doesn't make a difference for us. We would pay at least $700/month more for an ugly little prefab as opposed to our log house on 2 acres. *sigh*

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
What about going the opposite direction down around Bird/Indian area? It'd be nice to be on this side of the avalanches, but it's a pretty quick commute to an open area.

Or, what about the Hiland Road area? That's beautiful and not too far.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Busymama, do you know how the real estate prices are in that area?? The reason we were looking in the valley is because we could actually have a house versus a ZLL for the same price.

If I want to remain staying home with DD (which I most ABSOLUTELY want to do) we will have to stay in under 200k (ideally 160-170 would be much better). I just can't seem to find much in that price range

I could go back to work.... and beg for part time (my previous employers AK headquarters are in Anchorage) but I know good and darn well, before I knew it, I'd be suckered into 80 hour weeks again and never seeing my baby... and that CAN'T happen!!! So I would just as soon not go at all.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
You can do it. Really. All of my playgroup friends are SAHMs. (Well, obviously
)
The market now is definitely seller friendly. I have a friend looking for the same things you are right now w/a double (but low)income.
We actually have some nice little homes around here but you just have to "chance" upon them and make an immediate offer. Most are over $200 but not all by any means. And, a lot are FSBO. I bet they have a website for some of those. Or, find a realtor who will just set your parameters and email you the listing w/o pressuring you so you can drive by.

Downtown, Turnagain and Roger's Park are skyhigh and very dense. Hillside has little, inexpensive, wooded homes tucked around. Going allthe way down the highway, too.

I don't know much about Hiland (ER) except we ahve friends there and they love it. Not toobad of a commute.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd completely forgotten about FSBO... sometimes you have a little more negotiating room with them because they aren't having to pay a comission! I'll have to search for a website.

Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
We are in the process of buying a house (2200 sf, 4+ bed, 2 full bath on .93ac) in Wasilla. They are selling it for $175K. We have looked at a lot of properties over the past two months and there is really a lot out there. Have you checked the Mat-Su MLS? http://www.matsumls.com

My husband will make the commute everyday to the Air Force base, but thankfully he will be able to carpool with some of his buddies

**ETA**
Nevermind, I just checked the Mat-Su MLS and there were only 5 houses under $175k that were at least a 3 bed, 2 bath

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.