Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not guilty by reason of insanity.

I think they made the right decision. Any woman who can birth 5 children and care for them and then drown them is definitely insane in my book.

(Please move if there's a better place for this thread.)

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
i'm happy for her. this is the correct verdict imo and i am glad she was retried. i feel awful for her. from what i have read she is doing better. hopefully she will get treatment and counseling in the mental hospital

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I am happy to hear this verdict.

ps. hello Emy!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
It gives me a creepy feeling about the justice system. Convicted the first time but found insane the second time, for the exact same actions. Scary. Lucky her the media had time to influence the jury pool before the second trial. Yes I think she was insane, but I'm just saying, how can we have any faith in juries, they can't make up their minds what happened! If I were ever a defendant on trial for my life, I'd be terrified, is this jury going to want to execute me or will they take pity on me for being mentally ill? It seems totally random. Maybe you'll be convicted, maybe not, but it's just random, no logic or order to it, just how the jury feels that day.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Glad to hear it. I really believe she had/has mental problems.. I hope she gets the help that she needs and this can serve as a wake-up call for mental health awareness.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thank goodness. In the UK, they have a much more advanced care and realization about ppd and what it can do. I am glad for her, yet so sad, she will probably be destroyed as a person. There are some things in life that leave you asking how and why?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benji'sMom
It gives me a creepy feeling about the justice system. Convicted the first time but found insane the second time, for the exact same actions. Scary. Lucky her the media had time to influence the jury pool before the second trial. Yes I think she was insane, but I'm just saying, how can we have any faith in juries, they can't make up their minds what happened! If I were ever a defendant on trial for my life, I'd be terrified, is this jury going to want to execute me or will they take pity on me for being mentally ill? It seems totally random. Maybe you'll be convicted, maybe not, but it's just random, no logic or order to it, just how the jury feels that day.
The first time, the jury was given falsified "evidence" by an "expert witness" about how her actions were just like a Law and Order episode that had aired just before she did it. The prosecution used this to help prove to the jury that her actions were premeditated.

Except -- the "expert" made it up. There was never an episode of L&O like that, or anything else. The expert lied on the stand.

The first jury based their decision partly on fabricated evidence. The second jury was not given this "evidence" and came to a different conclusion based on the evidence they were presented.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
im also glad, i used to think she should go to jail with the death penalty until i watched a documentary on her and got the real story, about her and ppd and such, and i also suffered from ppd and psychosis..

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
i too think it was the correct verdict..but just so sad. and i do believe her life is ruined. how can it not be? the whole thing is just so sad.
i cant imagine what it is life living for her each day, and then seeing the clothes her children wore on the day of their death's prominently displayed in front of you to "prove" the prosecution's case. its just sad. i really do feel for her.

·
Registered
32 Posts
While I agree with the verdict( it being obvious that shes FRIGGIN NUTS) I feel bad for her for the simple fact that if she ever does get the proper help and realize what she has done, the feelings that will arise from taking her babies life...

Just makes me hug mine tighter...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Smeep,

I and dh totally agree with you
: . He and I are throughly disgusted by which she did, but she has to live with this for the rest of her life. I am praying those kids rest in peace, and that they are in God's hands now.
:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by WitchyMama2
I am happy to hear this verdict.

ps. hello Emy!

Nice to finally run into you over here!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, I think it's horrible what happened but I'm sure she's already suffering for it and, come on, what mother can birth and care for 5 babies and then kill them and NOT be insane? I don't know that much about the case, but from what I understand she had obvious signs before she had the last kid or two and they were advised not to have anymore children and yet the jerk of a husband insisted on making her have more kids. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

She needs psychological help. If she goes to prison, no good will come out of it. Besides, think about how mad all those psychologists would be if she went to prison. She's like an early Christmas present! lol I'm sure they will/are going nuts over her studying her.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think knowing that she will always picture her babies dying by her own hand will be the worst punishment she will have to go thru forever.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Finally the correct verdict but so incredibly sad. I still wish her idiot DH had been prosecuted!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
People who commit violent crimes deserve to go to prison, period. I do not care if they are crazy or not. They need to be removed from society. Put into a place where the pose no threat to others. I sincerely hope she atleast remains institutionalized for the rest of her natural life. The husband may very well be guilty of negligence, but she actually commited the henious act.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
very, very sad that the world will never know her children because they died at her hands, but very relieved she was found not guilty by reason of insanity. mental illness is very similar to a physical illness, and for some people it can cause them to do terrible things.

~claudia

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just saw her documentary. Supposedly, she and her husband agreed for her to go off her meds (haldol was one of them) to have another baby.........knowing she would relapse! He should be the guilty one leaving her alone with all those babies knowing she was insane! Anyone who can hold a struggling toddler underwater is crazy.

She did get help and diagnoses, but took her meds irregularly and then discontinued them before getting pg with her youngest. Too sad.......I cried for those little ones.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have to say, this thread made me realize how much more I belong here than at the other so called mainstream boards. I was on a different board when it happened and the reactions of those women still have me scratching my head.

I pray for Andrea Yates every time I hear her name. I have nothing but pity and compassion for her. Her husband, too, although I think he should be owning up to his rather large part in his children's demise.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. Sometimes I think I'm Holden Caulfield. Am I insane in a sane world, or sane in an insane world. When I come here, I know I am sane and the rest of them are just cracked.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts