Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little guy (10.5 months) is anemic (9.3)! I feel so bad but since he doesn't eat cherrios and baby cereal, I guess it isn't so suprising. He is purely into fingerfoods right now (no spoons for him) so, are there finger foods that are high in iron? Can I bake with baby oatmeal (he'd eat a cookie or bisquit)? How do you do it? Can I mask the taste of iron drops so he won't throw them up? He doesn't drink juice so I can't use that. I looked in a couple of books at the bookstore this morning and they all said that breasfed babies rarely become anemic. Well, that wasn't helpful! What do I do now that he is?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went 15 pages back on the breastfeeding forum and no mention of iron or anemia. Would it be mentioned somewhere else? I of course read the info on kellymom. Unfortunately, I seem to be feeding all the foods it recommeneds. I guess I need a way to mask the flavor of iron drops because so far, he has thrown them up each time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My DS was anemic awhile back. TYhe link above ws great. You could add molasses to oatmeal, high in iron. Tough though he is so young. DS was over a year at the time, we increased his vit c as well. Maybe a supplement would help. From what I remember, vit c helps the body absorb iron. Calcium inhibits iron absorption. Hope I remember that correctly.
I have also heard that early cord cuttting can lead to iron deficiency.
Goos luck

·
Registered
992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulmom
From what I remember, vit c helps the body absorb iron. Calcium inhibits iron absorption. Hope I remember that correctly.
Try and serve foods that are high in iron w/ foods that are high in Vit. C, and not w/ foods that have calcium. I would continue to offer your baby cheerios or another adult cereal that is high in iron. Also, I have several recipes for making things like baby cookies w/ the infant cereal. If you'd like them you can pm me.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I couldn't find the search button since things have been redesigned. I thought it was gone.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Could you post those recipes for baby cereal stuff? I get the stuff from WIC and just can't bring myself to feed DD the straight cereal. I mean, yuck! Plus if I could bake it into some fingerfoods it'd be handy to send them off to daycare w/ her.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't know if I can post them because they're long and also the copyright stuff here, but I would be glad to send them to you in a PM or email.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I use 1 cup of rice cereal (I'm sure oatmeal might be okay too)
1 cup of flour
3 tablespoons of oil
and instead of water, I used apple juice to give it more flavor since I had to use the plain WIC cereal.
Then I rolled them out, cut them into strips, baked at 420 for about 10 minutes.

They're kinda weird, more chewy for teethers, but Eva liked them. I recommend making them thinner, and watching your cooking time.

How about whole peas? Will he eat non mashed peas? Or even green beans? To get Eva to take her iron, I gave her a few spoon fulls of applesauce mixed with iron. When added to juice, she wouldn't drink it. And I tasted the iron before giving it to her, so there was no way I could give it to her undiluted (It was so YUCKY!!) I also gave her less than half the recommended dosage.

Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all! He is eating the cookies made with baby cereal and eating cheerios and meatballs. Hopefully that will do it. I got the iron drops flavored at the pharmacy but they are still pretty nasty. Now they are orange creamcicle rusty nail flavored.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts