Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted something similar in nutrition to ask specific advice about the nutritional aspects. But I am curious as to what might be causing the anemia and if anyone here knows.

My friend's baby will be 10 months old in a few days.
He was breastfed exclusively for about 5 months, then added cereal.
More foods and formula added until about 8-9 months she weaned off the breast completely.

He was a 39 week scheduled c-section and was only 5 pounds (no one knew he was so small) and had blood sugar problems which led to a couple of seizures. He was also anemic and spent a week in the NICU. Mama breastfed him exclusively in the NICU I believe. Also, I don't believe they felt the dates were wrong as nothing about him but his size was preemie.

She doesn't remember him testing anemic while she was breastfeeding, but in this month's check up he was anemic again. The doctor recommends meats. I just don't understand how he could be anemic, but I don't know everything.

Initially on breastmilk he went from a skinny 5 pounds to a really gorgeous plumper baby quickly. But for several months he hasn't gained any weight. Her other child (though he had a different father) is a BIG boy, so you would expect this second one to be as big. But at 10 months he's wearing 9 month clothes (which my kids were wearing at 3 months or so). I know some babies are smaller, but I wonder if something's up. Oh, and he is a ferberized(?) baby that now sleeps on his own about 10 hours a night and he has a chronic runny nose. I mean VERY runny.

We've encouraged her to make him green veggies and push those versus the meats. I would think they would digest better. The doc didn't mention vitamins. She is NOT going to re-lactate and BF again, so that's out of the question. Baby's on formula, Gerber foods and cereal and SOME fresh foods like banana.

I wonder if there's something more going on than nutrition here. I mean tons of kids are BF for a short time, then put on formula and Gerber and do just fine. I'd love to know I am overthinking this! But otherwise I can't help but wonder if something's wrong.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I wonder if he is allergic to milk? If he is on milk formula (even soy based otc formulas contain milk products), it could lead to bleeding in his intestines. That would manifest as low iron and runny nose. Could also be other allergies, but I would suspect milk first.

It isn't unusual for babies to slow down or stop gaining weight around 7 or 8 months as they start crawling and walking and too busy to eat. But he should start gaining again soon.

I would ask for perhaps another ped. check (with a different ped.) or an allergy referral. He may need some bloodwork to check some other details.

Poor baby!!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Does he get a lot of dairy? Does he drink formula with meals? Those can interfere with iron absorbtion. How's his vitamin C intake? That's needed to get the iron too.

I think that in that case if the family doesn't have objections, meat is a good choice. I'd pair it with some vit. C (sodium ascorbate)

-Angela

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
my ds is 11 months. He is bf and we started solids (finger foods only) at 6 months. He tested "almost" anemic at his 9 month check-up. I have been giving him a daily iron supplement called Tri-iron Light in some oj every morning. I also make sure he eats beef twice a week or so, cook spinach in with scrambled eggs, put avacado on my salads to feed to him because he wont eat it unless it comes off my plate
I also made some pumpkin bread with ground pumpkin seeds (EXCELLENT source of iron) and he loves it smothered with some raw butter and an orange or kiwi for the vitamin C. He will get re-tested in a month and I have high hopes that his iron will be better.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post

We've encouraged her to make him green veggies and push those versus the meats.
I would not do that. Meat (and other animal sources) are heme iron. Vegitables and plant matter are non-heme iron. Heme iron is more bio-available, and more concentrated. It takes A LOT more non-heme iron to be equivalent to that of heme iron. Am I making sense?
:

The best thing would be to offer baby some GOOD quality grass fed steak, of a good cut, (we like rib eyes/fillet mignon) cooked medium well (above 160 temp wise is safe) to keep it tender and juicy, and then follow up with something high in vitamin C. I think at 10 months old DD was eating a lot of pineapple. Vitamin C aids in the absorption of iron.

I would suggest looking into possible allergies, but, *if it were me*, in the mean time, I would drop the iron fortified formula and concentrate on natural heme iron sources. I also would not mix heme and non-heme iron sources in the same meal. And I would REALLY push the fresh fruits and vegetables. A fresh banana once in a while is actually pretty pathetic, diet wise.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
I would not do that. Meat (and other animal sources) are heme iron. Vegitables and plant matter are non-heme iron. Heme iron is more bio-available, and more concentrated. It takes A LOT more non-heme iron to be equivalent to that of heme iron. Am I making sense?
:

The best thing would be to offer baby some GOOD quality grass fed steak, of a good cut, (we like rib eyes/fillet mignon) cooked medium well (above 160 temp wise is safe) to keep it tender and juicy, and then follow up with something high in vitamin C. I think at 10 months old DD was eating a lot of pineapple. Vitamin C aids in the absorption of iron.

I would suggest looking into possible allergies, but, *if it were me*, in the mean time, I would drop the iron fortified formula and concentrate on natural heme iron sources. I also would not mix heme and non-heme iron sources in the same meal. And I would REALLY push the fresh fruits and vegetables. A fresh banana once in a while is actually pretty pathetic, diet wise.

Unfortunately I think this is too much for them to do. They're NOT crunchy. They do take a lot of our advice on diet, but grass fed steak isn't in the plan. Meats to her meant Gerber and there's no way they're giving up the bottles of formula that settle him down when he's upset. *sigh*

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebelbets View Post
Meats are actually a great choice for first foods for baby. It sounds like your friends are on top of it.
I don't see it. Gerber jars of baby meats with who knows what in them? Antibiotics and steroids? Harder to digest?

Am I totally wrong here?

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post
but grass fed steak isn't in the plan.
Your average run of the mill grocery store steak will suffice. If they don't want to pay extra for a good cut, marinate it in a little oil and vinegar. I'm talking a tablespoon.

Quote:
Meats to her meant Gerber
Is she going to feed this kid Gerber foods all the way through highschool?
: Eventually she's going to have to start offering "real" food, and if I were her friend I'd be pretty blunt about the fact that her kid has a health issue and all she's willing to do is unscrew the cap on a pre-bought bottle of food.

Quote:
and there's no way they're giving up the bottles of formula that settle him down when he's upset. *sigh*
You can buy formula that is not fortified with iron, that was what I meant.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Well, if they're not eating organically anyway...

What do you think formula is made from? Milk from those same cows....

Meat, in and of itself, is not a bad choice for baby food.

-Angela

Giving him antibiotics and steroid filled meats just because he also takes formula doesn't seem right. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

But I suppose if the iron outweighs the bad stuff...

I did suggest the meats last night. She seemed ... indifferent. Of course, when I saw them, they had just come home from two days at a trade event with a cranky baby and found their absolutely stocked fridge/freezer had died and everything was ruined.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Is she going to feed this kid Gerber foods all the way through highschool?
: Eventually she's going to have to start offering "real" food, and if I were her friend I'd be pretty blunt about the fact that her kid has a health issue and all she's willing to do is unscrew the cap on a pre-bought bottle of food.
I agree!

I am trying to work her through getting upset when her MIL gives the baby table food. I've told her, depending on the food, it's good.

I think she feels powerless because everyone's been grabbing the baby and stuffing him full of cake, icecream and even repeatedly dipping his pacifier in margaritas (and who knows what else they did that night). So she wants to tell MIL and myself no because we will respect her wishes and she feels in control.

I'd seen the cake/icecream thing and even I was upset at how no one listened. How such a strong personality just completely backs down, is beyond me. She would say, "No more." and they would just continue, so she'd turn away. I didn't witness the margarita thing, but her husband did, and apparently the friends/family didn't care to listen to him either. At least I think he had enough sense to take the baby from them.

Anywhoo, he's still having trouble with anything that isn't totally mushy and in the smallest chunks like avacado, so it's hard to push the issue as she's not so into grinding anything up for him.

I'm working on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.