Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a pre-natal with my midwife. We found out I'm anemic, so now I need to take iron supplements. Wonderful-I'm already constipated. Plus she said I should lay off the sugar since it looked like the baby would be about 10 lbs if I didn't. Problem is I've had a massive sweet tooth this pregnancy (which apparently is a symptom of anemia), so this will be quite the struggle.

I've had such an easy pregnancy this time around, and now, even though these are minor issues, I'm bummed. I feel like it's my fault I have these issues, and I should have been more careful.

Sorry, I just really needed to vent. For some reason it's just really bothering me!

· Registered
1,430 Posts
I feel your pain, mama. I've been off sugar for weeks now. You'll find other things to replace it with - I've really upped my protein intake and I've thrown caution to the wind when cooking with oil/fat. I use real butter
: I've also allowed myself to really enjoy all the fresh fruit available this time of year.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Sorry, mama. Anemia is no fun. I was very severely anemic with my DD's pregnancy. I took large doses of iron supplements and it never did much for my iron levels. This pregnancy, I've eaten an 8oz steak every week plus other iron rich foods and haven't been anemic at all. In fact, my iron was excellent - for the first time ever in my life. Just passing along that anectdotal story for you. Since the iron in many foods is more bioavailable, it might help you more...

· Registered
873 Posts
try floradix taken with beetroot capsules and yellowdock tincture. check with your MW but I took heaps of the above in addition to diet changes that included more meat, spinach and brocoli and it really helped heaps. i drank loads of OJ too. I hear you about the sweet tooth. my last pregnancy was exactly like that, but my iron levels got dangerously low and the above combo turned my life around! plus, the yellowdock can have a laxative effect which balances out the constipation effect of the iron! the beetroot and yellow dock really help with the absorption of the iron. Good luck.

· Registered
725 Posts
Anemic here as well... so I totally understand.

I've stopped taking the pills though and am trying to get all my iron through food sources. I've actually started having a bowel movement again, yah. Seriously, going 6-7 days between bms is not normal and those pills were stopping me up completely.

· Registered
1,489 Posts
I just wanted to second Floradix. It's more absorbable and doesn't cause constipation. If you tend to be constipated usually, try Ionic-Fizz Magnesium. I take it to help me sleep and help calcium absorption, but it also caues diarrhea. I have to take a half dose to avoid it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.