Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that they will two locals right above the penile area, on each side, as well as a topical? I heard this yest. and wasn't sure about it. Better than none at all, I guess?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I think what you are describing is a dorsal penile nerve block (DNP). The topical is usually EMLA cream and is simply to lessen the pain of the injection of the lidocaine. Lidocaine is an acid and burns and stings when injected. I have heard of the injection site being in the pubic mound but the more common injection site is in the penile shaft, at about the 11 and 1 o'clock positions. The AMA, in it's own research found the DNP to be inadequate. However, the subcutaneous ring block only requires one more injection site and was found better. It was found that it did a better job of reducing the pain to an acceptable level. I just wonder if the pain level that was acceptable to the AMA would be acceptable to an adult patient.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Frank

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">I just wonder if the pain level that was acceptable to the AMA would be acceptable to an adult patient.</td>
</tr></table></div>
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Speaking of this, I found an interesting link!<br><br><a href="http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/1998/09_98/Neonatal_0998.html" target="_blank">http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/199...atal_0998.html</a><br><br>
Its by the American Society of Anesthesiologists<br><br>
Further down it reads...<br><br><i>The idea of infants not experiencing pain after noxious stimuli was still prevalent in conventional wisdom as seen in the popular press. There was no clearer demonstration of this than in the advice given to parents circumcising their male newborns. In 1982, Proctor and Gamble promoted Pampers to parents by providing Expectant Parents' Information Kits, which included the statement: "You may be surprised to learn that circumcision will not be painful to your baby because, at this early stage of development, the penis does not yet have functioning pain nerve endings." Mother's Manual, published the same year, argues against local anesthesia for circumcision: "It swells the area to the extent of making an unsatisfactory circumcision too likely."</i>

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
When I was researching circ I ran across a board by men who had been circ'd as adults and wish they had been done as infants.<br><br>
Only one of the men had a local block and nearly went into shock at the pain of the injection. Why he thought it would be acceptable to do this to an infant is beyond me. The rest of the men had general anesthesia which is not an option for infants, so why they thought it was acceptable to do surgery without general anesthesia on an infant is also beyond me. The one site that could have given me a reason to consider mutilating DS2 was the site that convinced both DH and I that infant circ was just plain abusive... beyond a shadow of a doubt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts