Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the effects of anesthesia on infants?<br><br>
My dd is being sedated tomorrow for an MRI!!! I'm scared. What are some things I should know before going through with it???

·
Registered
913 Posts
Try to relax. I know it's scary to think about- my DS had to be put under general anesthesia for CT scan last month. The most important thing to remember is that your babe will be no worse for wear and will probably wake up HUNGRY, if they're making you withhold liquids for several hours before the MRI. I expected my son to be groggy, but he woke up completely and wanted to be fed before they could get all the leads off him in the recovery room.<br><br>
Other than that, she may be a little groggy or sleepy during the day after you get home. I think mine took about a 3 hour afternoon nap- his usual was more like 2 hours.<br><br>
Be strong, mama! In my experience (both as a mama and a nurse), they try to make the tests as fast as possible, so it should be over before you know it. Your dd will do great, and so will you.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My dd has been sedated for 3 MRI's, and once to have a PIC line put in. Oh and once general anesthesia for a surgery. Conscious sedation really depends on the baby and the anesthesiologist. Some docs use one drug, some use two. It can take a few minutes or a couple hours for your baby to fully 'come around'. What always reassured me for MRI's was that the anesthesiologist was right there beside DD in case something needed to be done.<br>
The MRI machine is super noisy. They'll take measures to protect your baby's ears, but you might want to double check to be certain that as much sound as possible will be blocked out. One time they just half assedly taped cotton balls over my dd's ears and she has been terrified of loud noises ever since.<br>
Anyways, good luck... it will be over before you know it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts