Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
i briefly worked in an organization that referred clients to this service. the menus i saw of what they offered was a lot of packaged things like frozen hamburger patties, frozen veggies, etc. so if you are looking for fresh it probably going to be disappointed. but it did look like a pretty good deal.

·
Banned
2,550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshine&lollipops View Post
Has anyone heard of Angel Food Ministries or bought their food? Our local paper had an article about a church in our area starting this service. About $30 a week for a family of four. Sounds promising!
It's not $30/week for a full supply of food, though. It's supplemental. And there are usually 2-3 prepared entrees, which contributes significantly to the claimed "value" of the box.

If you search through my posts from the last week or so, I did a break down of some of the prices, and I personally find the savings to be at best, unremarkable. Because my husband and I don't purchase convenience foods for suppers, there are no savings to be had in our household through AFM.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I personally find Angel Food to be very hit or miss. You really have to look at the menu each month and ask yourself if you think these items are worth the thirty dollars and if you think your family will eat it. I've had good luck a few times, but for the most part I don't care for their particular foods.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
I personally find Angel Food to be very hit or miss. You really have to look at the menu each month and ask yourself if you think these items are worth the thirty dollars and if you think your family will eat it. I've had good luck a few times, but for the most part I don't care for their particular foods.
Alot of the foods our kids won't eat.... like alot of the frozen meat products. I think if you shop wisely you can do just as well at the store.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I believe it's $30/box and one box is supposed to be a weeks worth of food, or something. If you got 4 boxes and have a freezer, you'd probably have about half your groceries for the month.

But....it's often highly processed and boxed foods, lots of meat, often processed, lots of pork, and very little in the way of nutritional foods. For us it just wasn't worth it, as we don't eat half the stuff anyway.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Check their menu online. If you need to rely on some convenience items and/or just don't have time to plan your grocery shopping for the best possible results, a regular box + a fruit/veggie box is an abundance of food that's stretchable and can be a really good deal. If it wasn't so much pork I'd probably think about it when both time and money are tight. I'd LOVE to see them introduce a vegetarian box option.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
As others have suggested look at what is in the box and how much it would cost you. For some they can get better deals, but depending on the cost of living in your area, stores, sales etc. then Angel Food Ministry might be a very good deal for you.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Reactions: jenniferh3
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.