Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter was born Christmas Eve!
Her name is Rosemary Amelie Belle.

On Monday I went in and I was only a cm dilated, and I was really disappointed thinking that I wouldn't have her for Christmas. Tuesday I felt crampy all day and had a back ache. Tuesday evening we went to Walmart to walk around and I started to feel slightly wet down there, but no big gush or anything. I continue to feel a little wetness all night and some random contractions, but nothing big. The next morning I still hadn't had a water gush and hadn't had any measurable contractions, and still didn't know if my water was leaking or if I was just extra wet. We got to the birth center at 9 in the morning to get checked to see if I was leaking amnio fluid, and I was so they admitted me. I kind of wish I hadn't but I told them I thought it had broke the evening before, and they automatically went on alert because that was over 12 hours ago. They broke my water completely then, and the contractions instantly got more painful but still not regular so they decided to induce my contractions with Pitocin and they gradually got regular and more painful. I was only dilated to a 2. I labored with Pitocin for 8 hours using the birthing ball and bathtub, but they decided that because of risk of infection, my contractions still weren't effective enough to create dilation in my cervix so they were going to up the Pitocin from 14 to 40 (full amount). So since I was so tired and in a lot of pain, and they were going to make the pain a lot worse and faster, they convinced me to get an epidural. I really hated the epidural by the way, it never took away all the pain, maybe just took the edge off, but I was still in so much pain and the only difference was that I couldn't move any part of my body from chest down to try to ease the pain! I labored with the epidural another 18 hours or so. It was really long and painful, and it didn't help that every hour they said "at the end of this hour if there isn't any change, we're doing a csection" and then at the end of the hour, I'd maybe have a teeny little change and they'd give me another hour ultimatum. We did this for probably 8 hours straight, me getting more and more hopeless feeling and wishing that they just would give me a csection instead of just threatening me with it! At about 1:30 in the morning on Christmas Eve, they decided to let me try pushing, even though they were still certain I'd need a c-section
I pushed and pushed for what seemed like forever, and then things started to change and they realized that the baby was finally descending and started to get ready for a delivery. I pushed for over 2 and a half hours, and it was such a relief to push that I pushed super hard and even when I didn't have the urge too, it just felt so much better to be pushing! It seemed like it took about 15 contractions before I could get the baby's head to poke out and stay out. I remember seeing all her pretty hair peeking out every time I pushed! I never felt the ring of fire people talk about when she crowned, just a bit of pressure. They got out her shoulders and in one more push out she slid! I received a second degree tear but the most pain I have from is the horrible hemorrhoids I got from pushing so hard! After she finally let out a cry, they put her on my chest right away and I remember looking over at Erik and seeing him crying. I was just so in shock (and in pain and quite traumatized from the whole experience). They weighed her in at 8 and a half pounds, she was 21 1/2 inches long, her head was 13.9 inches in circumference, and her chest was 12.8! She has light brown and golden blonde hair, huge blue eyes, and adorable chubby cheeks!

We're doing great now, for the last three days we've been dealing with jaundice issues, making her little heels being poked over and over
. Her jaundice made her incredibly tired and out of it, so much that I couldn't even get her to eat for like 8 hours! But slowly I got some milk into her and then a little more, and it seemed like every time she got some more into her, she became a bit more alive again! Finally this afternoon she opened her eyes and was alert, and then sucked down probably 6-8 ounces in a couple hours! She has lost all her yellowness over the course of today, and the doctor called and confirmed that she was getting better! We have a lot of problems getting her to latch because of how tired and out of it she has been, so I rented a pump yesterday and have been pumping milk non-stop and supplementing with formula. I keep trying to latch but have had no luck so far, I'm going to call the La Leche League tomorrow to see if I can get some help now that my milk has come in and she has energy to try to nurse!

I'm feeling so much better, I was pretty traumatized from my loooooong labor and loooooong pushing session. It wasn't at all how I wanted it to be, and instead of being ruled by calmness, peacefulness, and love, I was ruled by pain and fear. It took a day and night of crying, but emotionally I feel lots better! Still really nervous about making a mistake or doing something wrong, but I'm so in love with my little girl! Physically, I was in quite a lot of pain, but feel like I bounced back super fast, barely any pain anymore! Still pretty tired, but I got to take a large nap today, and slept pretty good last night, since she was so tired from the jaundice!

On to pictures!
The link to our photobucket account: http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/BabyMcCall/

Sorry these might be big, not sure how to resize them:
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...l/ebee624d.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...all/091_91.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...ll/100_100.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...all/052_52.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...all/066_66.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...all/046_46.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wooooo! Congratulations! So glad to hear that your daughter's jaundice has gotten better (my daughter had her little heels poked repeatedly, too, just after she was born---that really sucked for all of us). I'm sorry it was such a bumpy, traumatic ride. It is so hard when birth goes in some crazy direction you weren't exactly hoping for, and it sounds like some of the folks at the birth center kind of sucked (threatening you constantly with a cesarean?!). But it also sounds like you're strong and already starting to heal, which is amazing. As for feeling nervous about making mistakes or doing something wrong, that's you already being a great mama. I'm so happy for you all. Thanks for sharing your story. Hooray for you and your beautiful girl!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Congratulations! What a great Christmas gift! She's beautiful. I had a late epi during Gavin's labor and didn't feel the ring of fire either (even with his 15 inch head). Definitely felt it with the two homebirths though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congratulations! She is so adorable! I love those chubby cheeks

It's funny - my daughter (Amelia Rose is her name, but we're calling her "Rosie" because my mother, grandmother and I are all named "Amelia") was born Dec 13 and the birth story was pretty similar to yours (except we started at home and had to transfer to the hospital after 40 hours, then went with pitocin and epidural). I'll try to post it soon when I whittle it down to a shorter version.

Congratulations on your beautiful Rosy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.