Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nak...well my infant will be 8 weeks next week when we fly across the country to the cold with her germ-laden brother LOL, so I called my ped and asked what to do if she gets sick while we are gone.<br><br>
the response was, all infants under 3 months must immediately go to the hospital for a blood workup, spinal tap, antibiotics etc etc.<br><br>
so my question is why? what magically happens at 3 months to make it fine for them to be sick after that age? is this really a reasonable policy when if she does get sick it will be from her brother getting a cold and sneezing on/licking her?<br><br>
Does anyone know why they have this policy? I tried to get some answers out of the advice nurse (which was who I talked to) but she just kept spouting the same phrases.<br><br>
Thanks in advance, I keep doing research on this but can't get a straight answer...

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Uhhh<br><br>
i would find a new ped.<br><br>
I have never ever heard that before from anyone. Spinal taps???? Blood work up??? Antibiotics without knowing the cause of the illness?????<br><br>
I think if you keep her on your boob the whole flight. If she does get sick and it seems to be the run of the mill snuffy nose, use your judgement. She won't need a spinal tap for a cold.

·
Registered
0 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Evergreen</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Uhhh<br><br>
i would find a new ped.<br><br>
I have never ever heard that before from anyone. Spinal taps???? Blood work up??? Antibiotics without knowing the cause of the illness?????<br><br>
I think if you keep her on your boob the whole flight. If she does get sick and it seems to be the run of the mill snuffy nose, use your judgement. She won't need a spinal tap for a cold.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
My thoughts exactly. Find a new ped...that's absurd!<br>
If she need to rush to the ER, you'll know!<br>
If she's a little snotty, it's not worth a spinal tap, kwim?<br>
If you indescrimantly put a newborn on antibiotics you're setting them up for immunodependancy on them...not good..<br>
That's absolutely insane. Like shooting a parakeet with a shotgun...geez...wtf is wrong with doctors?

·
Registered
464 Posts
The only real cause for concern in a baby that age is a significant fever (over 101). Otherwise, I agree, start the search for a new ped.

·
Registered
30 Posts
well, it happened to my dd. When she was 6 wks old she caught a virus from older dd. She had a 101 temp and when I called the Ped-they sent us right to the ER. Of course when we got there, they told us they had to do the spinal, urine culture, blood work, etc-it was awful. Her labs were a little off and they had to admit her for 48hrs and they gave her antibiotics. They said that before 8 weeks (I think) the baby's immune system is weak. She had not received any vaccines (yes, we vax-please don't flame me). They are also suspectible to menengitis. I was so upset b/c she is 100% bf. Anyways, here they send you right to the ER for the w/u. She went home after the 48hrs. HTH, Laura

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">They said that before 8 weeks (I think) the baby's immune system is weak.</td>
</tr></table></div>
So why 8 weeks? My dd is 7.5 weeks and she was 2 weeks late with all the signs of a post-dates baby, she is big and healthy and sleeps and eats really well and the ped at the birth was amazed at how alert she was, and I was like LOL well she is 2 weeks old, so I put her adjusted age at 9.5 weeks (well if they can do it for premies, why not for post-dates babies?).<br><br>
So if she does get a fever in the next few weeks, even if I know it's due to a virus, do I really have to worry? This is all so confusing...thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Water, I'm not sure-but here in NYC and I know FL-there is the standard rule that under 8 wks-they go to the ER for a work up-all the dr's told me was they are suspectible (sp?) b/c of their weakened immune systems and they have not received any vaccines line the pneumococal (sp?) which helps prevent menengitis. FYI, I do know some one ehose baby got a fever at 6 wks and it was menengitis-picked up by the spinal tap..<br>
I fyour baby has an obvious cold virus, you are probably fine not getting the w/u-but a high fever out of nowhere w/o any other symptoms warrents a trip -on my opinion, Laura

1 - 7 of 7 Posts