Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
well, it happened to my dd. When she was 6 wks old she caught a virus from older dd. She had a 101 temp and when I called the Ped-they sent us right to the ER. Of course when we got there, they told us they had to do the spinal, urine culture, blood work, etc-it was awful. Her labs were a little off and they had to admit her for 48hrs and they gave her antibiotics. They said that before 8 weeks (I think) the baby's immune system is weak. She had not received any vaccines (yes, we vax-please don't flame me). They are also suspectible to menengitis. I was so upset b/c she is 100% bf. Anyways, here they send you right to the ER for the w/u. She went home after the 48hrs. HTH, Laura

·
Registered
30 Posts
Water, I'm not sure-but here in NYC and I know FL-there is the standard rule that under 8 wks-they go to the ER for a work up-all the dr's told me was they are suspectible (sp?) b/c of their weakened immune systems and they have not received any vaccines line the pneumococal (sp?) which helps prevent menengitis. FYI, I do know some one ehose baby got a fever at 6 wks and it was menengitis-picked up by the spinal tap..
I fyour baby has an obvious cold virus, you are probably fine not getting the w/u-but a high fever out of nowhere w/o any other symptoms warrents a trip -on my opinion, Laura

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.