Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nak...well my infant will be 8 weeks next week when we fly across the country to the cold with her germ-laden brother LOL, so I called my ped and asked what to do if she gets sick while we are gone.

the response was, all infants under 3 months must immediately go to the hospital for a blood workup, spinal tap, antibiotics etc etc.

so my question is why? what magically happens at 3 months to make it fine for them to be sick after that age? is this really a reasonable policy when if she does get sick it will be from her brother getting a cold and sneezing on/licking her?

Does anyone know why they have this policy? I tried to get some answers out of the advice nurse (which was who I talked to) but she just kept spouting the same phrases.

Thanks in advance, I keep doing research on this but can't get a straight answer...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
They said that before 8 weeks (I think) the baby's immune system is weak.
So why 8 weeks? My dd is 7.5 weeks and she was 2 weeks late with all the signs of a post-dates baby, she is big and healthy and sleeps and eats really well and the ped at the birth was amazed at how alert she was, and I was like LOL well she is 2 weeks old, so I put her adjusted age at 9.5 weeks (well if they can do it for premies, why not for post-dates babies?).

So if she does get a fever in the next few weeks, even if I know it's due to a virus, do I really have to worry? This is all so confusing...thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.