Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have decided to move to Asheville. We went this past weekend and rode around trying to get familiar with it. (We ended up getting lost alot!)
I've heard that West Asheville is a good place to live. We want to rent for awhile before we decide to buy.
However, I'm not really sure what West Asheville is. I know that downtown is west asheville but the lady at Earthfare said that also is west asheville. I don't recall seeing many houses around there. Where are some good neighborhoods or some good street names to check out in west asheville? I just need some road names so we can ride up there and get a feel for the areas we might want to live.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Love2learn,

Downtown is not West Asheville (aka "westville"). Once you hit Earthfare (coming from downtown on 240) you are in Westville. If you drive past earthfare on 240, it becomes patton ave. If you go approx. 5 lights to the top of the hill and make a left on Haywood Rd., this is what most consider Westville. Here you will find Library, Co-op, pub, etc.. You should just take haywood and go down some side street like Brevard Rd., Louisiana (at the Ingles) etc. Westville is nice in some places, but it is experiencing an "urban renewal" so some of it is kinda ghetto and sketchy. You will probably be able to tell the nice parts from the not nice parts.

Good luck in you search!

PS- I am moving in 30 days, if you would like to know about my house that will become available, PM me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would also suggest checking out Oakley, it is a nice neighborhood most of which is inside the city limits(somewhat south east). We live there now and really like it, it is close to everything, has a few parks, and lots of families. Look for Fairview rd and your there.

Welcome in advance

Robyn wife to Eric
SAHM to Raven 6 1/2, Dakota 4, and Zebulon 6 weeks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We visited Asheville again this weekend and found West Asheville. All I have to say is yikes! the houses are SO close together!
We never did find Oakley.

How is the crime rate in West Asheville? Some streets look ok, but then like 4 or so houses down, it starts to look sketchy.
If the sketchy roads are right beside the ok ones, wouldn't there be a concern for crime?

And what's the scoop on Candler? It is right next to west asheville and about 20 minutes from downtown. The houses out there are so cheap. So why are more people moving to Weaversville (which is farther from everything) and not Candler?

·
Registered
14 Posts
hay,
i'd advise against candler; paper mill. the smell is overwhelming.
west asheville isn't the safest area of asheville to live. but i'm sure whatever part you're in you can find a nice nook.
much luck

·
Registered
913 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pema View Post
hay,
i'd advise against candler; paper mill. the smell is overwhelming.
west asheville isn't the safest area of asheville to live. but i'm sure whatever part you're in you can find a nice nook.
much luck
I know this is a super old thread but I just wanted to say that the paper mill is in Canton NOT Candler. And the smell.... :puke. I drove through dwtn Canton for the first time a couple of weeks ago and OMG!! I rolled up the windows and turned on the AC but even with that the smell permeated through the car. All I could do was breathe through my mouth and speed up to escape that hideous odor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.