Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My son wasn't invited to another boy's birthday party. They are in the same pre-k class and this boy is turning 5. I don't really understand how the mom or child decided who to invite. They gave the invitations out at school on the playground. I was there. Usually after the am pre-k class gets out many parents, younger siblings and the pre-k children play on the playground for about 30 minutes until the gym class comes out. At first I thought she was only inviting the bilingual children (She told me when we volunteered together at the ice cream social in the beginning of the year that she was raising her children bilingual and she didn't put her son in preschool last year so she could keep him exposed to Spanish at home). Then I realized she invited a lot of the other children but I thought most of those children they knew from soccer. My son didn't play soccer. Today was the party and the only children who appeared not to go to the party were my son and two Asian boys who moms don't really speak English. I don't understand. At first I wasn't that concerned but then it seemed like almost everyone was invited except my son. The party was today after pre-k.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My husband thought I should have confronted her about it but I thought that would be rude. He said maybe it was a misunderstanding but I think she would have asked me about it if she meant to invite my son or if his invitation was lost or something. The invitations went out weeks in advance. She has also talked about the party in front of me to other parents about another boy who she asked if he was going to the party and the boy's father wouldn't let him go. I've chatted with her a little bit on the playground so I think she would have asked if we were coming had she meant to invite my son.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Our boys do play together at school and on the playground so it isn't like they don't get along or play together at all. Any thoughts?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thankfully my son isn't too upset and hopefully tomorrow he won't be upset if the children talk about the party. Also another boy from his class is having a party on Sunday that we are going to.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I totally understand that sometimes you can't invite everyone but it seems like in this case he was specifically excluded. I invited my son's whole preschool class to his birthday party. I remember inviting my whole class or all the girls to my birthday parties as a child.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any insight or thoughts?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ugh, I love my son and I don't want him to be hurt but I know it will be inevitable as he gets older.</p>

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
<p>maybe you might want to read over this closed thread- </p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1276153/so-upset-leaving-1-child-out-of-a-brithday-party">www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1276153/so-upset-leaving-1-child-out-of-a-brithday-party</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>2-pages back you should find it</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts