Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you ladies do at night when you can't sleep? How do you pass the time or get yourself back to sleep again?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don't have any great advice for you. I've suffered insomnia plenty in the past (pre-pregnancy) and relied on Ambien. But, I got over it somehow and stopped taking that.

Now, I can't sleep because of pain, so that's a different story. But, one thing that I do think about regarding insomnia is something that I read that Deepak Chopra once said.

He said that often times we sleep more than we think that we do. I believe there was a study that compared how much people thought they slept to how much they actually slept. It showed that we think we sleep less than we do (obviously, if you are up and about, this doesn't hold true).

So, he suggests staying in bed and using relaxation techniques to fall asleep rather than getting up and doing something else.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I know how horrible it is to not sleep! I hope you can get some sleep somehow.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Well this may have been said in all the other can't sleep threads but I don't know because I only come on here periodically.

I don't use this method very much but I am starting it today since the kids will be going back to school soon and I need to retrain myself to get up at 6AM.

But light excersize really does make it easier to sleep at night. When you have had an exhausting day then sometimes it is easier to fall asleep when you hit the hay.

I have had a really hard time working out this pregnancy. I mean walking is pure torture right now and totally out of the question. My ligaments are so relaxed that I feel like I need a hip replacement on the right side. It is very painful. My back is always hurting. I tried the walk at home videos and probably about once a week I could get all the way through the 20 minute walk in place workout. It was just too painful. I have an eliptical in my basement and I haven't even touched it because I figured it would just be too hard if walking is too hard but to my suprise the only pain I felt was in my lungs lol. I had no back or hip pain.

I have not tried any pregnancy workouts but maybe one of those would work for you if you don't have time to get to a gym or something. I think maybe something as simple as a 20 minute workout may possably help.

Just a thought.

Hope it may help.

·
Registered
562 Posts
yesterday morning I had a crying fit because I couldn't sleep AT ALL, all night after the previous night's fitfull sleep.
So last night I took Unisom, because I think not sleeping would have been worse for the baby, and I slept like a baby - or better! I have to try not to rely on it too much, but hopefully I'm back on track now and can sleep better naturally.
I have restless legs and have to pee 8 times a night and get hungry every 2 hours even at night and have an uneasy stomach constantly, so last night with only 3 wakings and 11 hours sleep was amazing.
Baby's bouncing around this morning, so I don't think it did her any harm.

I also had a prenatal massage yesterday so I think that helped my legs relax enough to let me sleep.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I've been knitting and watching Weeds on DVD. I'm totally sporadic too ~ some nights I sleep fine, like last night and wake up wanting even more sleep and other nights I'm up from 2-6am. it's just strange. I didn't have this with my last two PG so this is a little new to me. I'm just trying to get through it. On the "bright" side, we're entering our third week of rain here so we haven't been going out much and that's made it easier to snooze a bit on the couch or just relax. Poor kiddos could use some sun though, I think their mama could benefit from it too.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just lie there and get annoyed because I should be sleeping!!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I listen to a Hypnobabies track on my iPod and almost always I am asleep before it ends. Usually the Deepening Hypnosis one. The home study course (which that track is a part of) is quite expensive, but I think I saw a "Peaceful Sleep Now" track for sale separately. It's just very calming to have someone quietly and gently telling me to relax over and over again, helps to stop the mental churning.

I definitely never sleep through the night. I hardly ever do anyway, even when I'm not pregnant. I've decided to see as a good thing - makes it less of a shock when baby's here and needs me to get up several times a night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.