Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I are hoping to start a small container garden as we finally have some outdoor space for the first time in a few years. What I don't know is how to choose containers. I mean, I know I need to consider space, but I'm really wondering about food safety. It seems like the books and websites I read make it look like you can use any ol' container, but aren't there issues with toxins leeching into the soil? I haven't had much luck just searching for food grade planters, but maybe I'm just a bad googler. Anyway, do you use anything you can find or do you have certain materials you try to avoid? Or better yet, do you know of a place that sells safer containers? Oh, and I should add that anything we use will have to be aesthetically pleasing, if you will, b/c we live in a condo and our patio is open to the other units. And we do have the type of neighbors that will complain if things look messy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've mostly used Home Depot 5 gallon buckets, but they're not that pretty. I used cedar for my raised beds, maybe you could find old half-wine barrels? I know they're usually oak, but they're along the same lines. That's what I planted my strawberries and garlic in last fall.

You can find some nice terra cotta pots, also, they're pretty and age nicely.

I don't think there's any leachage problems with either of these, but I could be wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.