Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my dd has been around kids vaxed with the CP vaccine would it be possible that she has immunity from them shedding?<br><br>
We did do MMR with her (the cornerstone for my changing views although we always spaced the vaccines out and didn't do Hep B at birth, etc) and she will be attending public school. We plan to do her MMR titers, no 2nd MMR. Do you think I should get CP titers too?

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>RNapmomma</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">If my dd has been around kids vaxed with the CP vaccine would it be possible that she has immunity from them shedding?<br><br>
We did do MMR with her (the cornerstone for my changing views although we always spaced the vaccines out and didn't do Hep B at birth, etc) and she will be attending public school. We plan to do her MMR titers, no 2nd MMR. Do you think I should get CP titers too?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
In what state are you? Some states also allow parental recall of chicken pox in lieu of vaccination. That would be an "out" as far as the varicella requirement.<br><br>
Regardless, if you plan on doing the titers for the MMR, then I would do a check for varicella as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in NJ and did write a letter but I kind of wanted to know for myself/dd. My doc is very NFL so I will ask him.<br><br>
thanks

·
Registered
356 Posts
also know that you don't have to have the vaccines, or the titers, for your child to go to public school. You can get a religious exemption (and you dn'thave to prove your religion, it's unconstitutional for them to ask any specifics) We claim religious exemption even though we are pagan.<br><br>
hth<br>
Misty

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>MistyMM</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">it's unconstitutional for them to ask any specifics</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
That's not entirely accurate. While it would be unconstitutional to require a parent to adhere to or be a member of a recognized religion opposing immunization, schools can (and do) ask for an explanation of beliefs in many states. As a matter of fact, the OP's state laws (New Jersey) specifically require an explanation of religious beliefs.<br><br>
In New York, your beliefs must be "genuine and sincere" and it has been upheld by the court that schools may reasonably inquire in order to determine if your beliefs are in fact genuine and sincere. In Illinois, an explanation is required as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts