Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading how when you break in new dipes, you have to wash AND dry X times, meaning you can't wash 5 times, then dry once...<br><br>
What I want to know is, is it the drying out that matters, or is it the being in the dryer?<br><br>
Our dryer really stinks. It takes a minimum of 2 1/2 cycles to dry a load of clothes, so I hang just about everything outside. Planned to do the same with my dipes, until winter, at which point we'll rig up a clohtes line or draying racks or something in the garage or bathroom (We have a tub we can't use)<br><br>
But does line drying not work for the break in period? Does anyone know?<br><br>
(And no one even suggest we get a new dryer... we rent, and when appliances break, our landlord replaces them with new "used" ones... when our fridge went fritzy, it was a nightmare. We got stuck with a "new" fridge than ran for 3 days straight before the landlord upped our fridge allowance and allowed us to trade that one in for a better used one. I'm AFRAID to ask for a new dryer...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
The most important part about breaking in new dipes is to clean out the "coating" on the cotton. You can either was 6 times or you can boil them once. Line drying or dryer drying shouldn't matter. I lined dryed all of mine and they got plenty absorbant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,756 Posts
I highly suggest you boil them once, wash them once dry them once. Line dry, dryer dry whatever doesn't matter! <img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/orngbiggrin.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title="orange big grin"> Boiling them cuts down greatly on the whole process and really isn't that hard!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I get that... I'm the opne who posted about the dish soap question earlier, and every said it will work and to boil 'em, too.<br><br>
So my question wasn't really meant to imply that I plan to wash my dipes 5-10 times... I really just wondered about how important break-in drying was, since the drying part is always emphasizied.<br><br>
Guess I'll line dry and see what happens!<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by allformyboys</i><br><b>I highly suggest you boil them once, wash them once dry them once. Line dry, dryer dry whatever doesn't matter! <img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/orngbiggrin.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title="orange big grin"> Boiling them cuts down greatly on the whole process and really isn't that hard!</b></td>
</tr></table></div>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,839 Posts
The dryer seems to speed up the process. I tried to break in a load once by just washing 6 times with no drying and that didn't work.<br><br>
Kind of OT- I boiled my ubcpfs in dish soap and washed/dried them 4 times and they are STILL not broken in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by MamaMonica</i><br><b>Kind of OT- I boiled my ubcpfs in dish soap and washed/dried them 4 times and they are STILL not broken in.</b></td>
</tr></table></div>
lalalalalalala i can't hear you lalalalalalala<br><br>
i am in the process of breaking in 36 ubcpfs for my aunts friend (i don't want her to have to do it herself and give up on cd'ing kwim?). i am going to boil them after christine falls asleep...gosh i hope it works the first time. i've already washed and dried on hot 3 times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,202 Posts
I found out that the boiling them LONGER works BETTER. Under 10 minutes was not so great. Give them at least 10 min. at a strong boil, if not more. And the dryer helps to draw out oils, too, but no, if you boil, it's not really necessary. They won't look all nice and quilted and fluffy, though, if you don't dry them in the dryer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,412 Posts
Jumping in here - so do I need to add detergent w/phosphates to the boiling water when I am breaking in my prefolds?? lol, just when I thought I understood the process something new (like detergent) is added to the mix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,756 Posts
WOW you boiled them and washed them that much and they are still not broke in? YIKES! I haven't had that problem at all! I boiled them for about 3-4 mins each (brought the water to a full boil before adding and between adding) and washed/dried once and they were fully broke in.<br><br>
I used Dawn dish soap with it, because the whole point is to remove the oils from the cotton and frankly nothing cuts grease/oil better than dawn (IMO). So a little squirt of dawn in the boiling water, wash as a regular load (on hot/dry on high) and they were good to go! Both UBCPF and BCPFs never had that problem!<br><br>
Line drying doesn't get them as fluffy by a long shot, but they should still work fine, to the drop test, if you drop some water on them and it soaks right in, they are broke in and ready to use! ~
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,839 Posts
When I boiled miine (25 minutes) I had the diapers soaking up most of the water and used a natural dish soap- then the 4 washes and they did absorb, but it wasn't full absorbency- the pee didn't soak in like I know it should (I have another broken-in one to compare it to). They seem to be improving with each wash- I keep throwing in with the used dipes and I'm up to 5 washings...<br><br>
Also, these ubcpfs aren't pilling very much- just a little- I have another that really pilled a lot. These are really nice (got them at Diaperware) and I know I'm going to love them after a few more washes- they are really soft already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Dawn... I don't think it's your opinion, I think it's FACT! <img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/smile.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title="smile"> That's what I have used to get motor oil and hair dye out of my hair, and it's used in oil spill clean ups to clean the little ducklings who get oil-soaked... and I din't think it's just because Dawn wants the publicity, i think it's because it works.<br><br>
I have found natural dish soaps to be nice in theory but... they never worked as well for me at breaking down grease as the good harsh super market kinds. I'm not at all surprised to hear they didn't work with the rapid diaper break-in trick.<br><br>
We'll have to see how Dawn works for me once I get my diapers.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by allformyboys</i><br><b>WOW you boiled them and washed them that much and they are still not broke in? YIKES! I haven't had that problem at all! I boiled them for about 3-4 mins each (brought the water to a full boil before adding and between adding) and washed/dried once and they were fully broke in.<br><br>
I used Dawn dish soap with it, because the whole point is to remove the oils from the cotton and frankly nothing cuts grease/oil better than dawn (IMO). So a little squirt of dawn in the boiling water, wash as a regular load (on hot/dry on high) and they were good to go! Both UBCPF and BCPFs never had that problem!<br><br>
Line drying doesn't get them as fluffy by a long shot, but they should still work fine, to the drop test, if you drop some water on them and it soaks right in, they are broke in and ready to use! ~</b></td>
</tr></table></div>
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top