Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually stop supplementing with d3 once the sunny summer weather arrives. In the past I've always figured I probably got enough from the sun exposure.<br><br>
While pregnant this winter, I've been taking almost 4,000 d3 units a day. (Before being pregnant, I was taking closer to 6,000). I'm not sure what I want to do with pregnancy d3 supplementation during the summer months, though.<br><br>
What are you ladies doing?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I'm taking 6000 of D3. I plan to continue throughout the summer. I hate the sun, and I am very fair skinned so I burn after about 5 minutes so I have to wear strong sun screen if I am in the sun. I am rarely in the sun though because I don't see the point of torturing myself. If I stayed in the sun for 10 to 15 minutes like they say you have to in order to get enough D3 I would be burned and red all summer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Your numbers make me feel more confident to increase my D3 dose. I have just started taking 1000u of D3 in addition to the 400u that is in my prenatal vitamin. I live in a sunny area, but work inside all day 4 days a week, and maybe get out in the sun for half an hour per week at most. I am thinking of upping it to 2000u plus the 400u... but since I have been prone to kidney stones in the past, I'm nervous to. I've heard that much D3 can cause kidney stones. I may up it and just up my water intake, too, as a counterbalance.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had my OH (25) levels tested again at 28 weeks, and I was at 62...(having taken 2000 IU/day from October until then--in October I was at 38). I gradually cut back to none. I'm not really in the sun too much, but thought that I shouldn't get too high. Anyway, I recommend getting it checked.<br><br>
If I thought I was getting a cold, I'd start taking some again (in the winter, I would take 3000 IU when I thought I was getting something).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I still supplement, but it's only because I'm Black and we need more due to the melanin in our skin.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Yes.. in northern climates the quality of the light (even in sunlight) is different than the quality of light closer to the equator.. (slanted light I guess).. that's what the naturopath explained to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts