Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got mine today. It haven't "tried it on" yet (no a/f), but it looks huge. I have had a (very premature) birth. and I usually only can tolerate the very smallest size OB tampons (the little pink ones). Should I have ordered the smaller size? I ordered the after childbirth size. FWIW, my uterus was too small for the Mirena IUD. Any thoughts?

Olivia

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
hmm. It MAY take you a little longer to get used to it, so hang in there. I dithered for years over what size to order (I had two c/s) and ended up the lady told me if you were over 30, to order the larger one anyway.

I found that rinsing mine in VERY warm tap water just before inserting worked great, as it seems to make it more flexible and comfortable to insert. You may also want to cut off the tail; I believe it can still be returned anyway, if it doesn't work out, so you don't have to be afraid. I ended up NOT cutting the tail off mine, but that was just because it quit bothering me and I haven't make the time to do it.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
It does look big, doesn't it? Don't worry, it really does fit.
I also had issues if I tried to use anything bigger than the regular flow playtex tampons. One thing that makes a difference for me **tmi** is that the diva cup doesn't dry me out like tampons did, so it's lots easier to insert and take out.

You can try using it with the tail, and if it bugs you, cut it off. You'll still be able to get it out (the tail was actually useless for me, and it was very uncomfortable) and exchange it if you need to. I also second the rinsing it with warm water - softens it a little bit, and it's not as shocking as putting in one rinsed in cold water.

Lanna

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmonter
It does look big, doesn't it? Don't worry, it really does fit.
T

:LOL I am gasping, that is just so funny, I am thinking of some toady teenage boy now!

:

I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing.

Ignore me, please!
: :LOL

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tracymom
:LOL I am gasping, that is just so funny, I am thinking of some toady teenage boy now!

:LOL :LOL :LOL

I didn't even think of that!
But if you follow that train of thought,
, the diva cup really isn't a problem...

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I'm having the same issue--the damn thing is HUGE! (I've had three full term vaginal deliveries, so this size *should* be fine for me, but it still feels like there's a big hunk of plastic (silicone) inside me when I try to wear it. I compare the size of the DC's top rim to an o.b. regular tampon: 4 1/2 cm versus 1 cm! I know tampons expand during use, but even it got twice as big, that's still quite a difference. I just don't see how it's ever NOT going to feel weird.

The only thing that MIGHT make this godforsaken contraption more comfortable is trying to wear it a little higher, as some posters have mentioned. When I position it as illustrated in the DC literature, it is vera vera uncomfortable.

And beware--DC customer service told me that you can't return it if you cut the stem shorter than 1/4 inch. (Uh, that's not in the guarantee, so if I don't like mine after trying a bit more, it's going back, and I AM getting a refund!) I do agree that the stem is useless for removal, though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmonter
But if you follow that train of thought,
, the diva cup really isn't a problem...

I thought the cup looked big at first, but then I thought about how I got pg in the first place
and about people passing babies through there (I've only had C-sections) and that really helped me with the size issue/perspective.

Even- maybe TMI- putting the DivaCup in while laying down (like on the bed) made it easier the first few times. But yeah, that stem is pretty much useless, IMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to crash your thread, etoilech, I have been reading avidly about these cups and its not the diameter across that bothers me, it's the >length< of the Divacup! I'm 32, no kids, they say I should get the bigger one, but even the smaller one looks huge!

I must be extra small inside, it's only just over 2 inches from entrance to cervix, and once inserted the cup looks like it would sit alongside, rather than underneath my cervix, so all the flow would go down the side, rather than into the cup. To get it under my cervix, the base of it (not the stem, the actual base) would surely be almost out of my vagina, no? I can use tampons no problem, but only the widthways expanding ones like Lilets, not Tampax, as they feel like they are too low and trying to come out once they expand.

Please, has anyone got any opinions or advice? I really want to be able to try one, but it simply looks too long in all the photos I've found.

Thanks
Muppet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.