Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am blessed that my friends are throwing me a shower. I am happy and grateful.

Having said that, I really didn't want to register because I didn't need TONS of stuff and I really don't like registries much. So I broke down and put down probably 20 items that I COULD REALLY USE: cloth diapers, diaper covers, snappies, crib sheets, gas drops, sposies, a few onesies, etc.

Well, like 2 people have gotten things from the registry. And I'm not worried about getting enough stuff. It's just that now I'll have to go buy the majority of the stuff because I really "need" most of it. So I am happy people will be being generous, but I don't know why they don't "like" to get the stuff you want/need.

I've heard people say before that they "never" buy from registries and I get that, but it's the stuff I need.....

Okay, done with being a creep.

ETA: I lied, I'm back. Why is there an aversion to people buying cloth diapers?

· Registered
558 Posts
Yup, I didn't make a registry for that reason. I've had two ppl ask me what I wanted, but no one asked me for a registy. Let's hope you get some gift cards to afford the stuff you need!

· Registered
3,081 Posts
My MIL didn't even know they still SOLD cloth diapers! I am using sposies mostly, but cloth diapers make fabulous burp cloths, so I have them on my registry.

-Katrina

· Registered
2,980 Posts
I think some people have an aversion to online shopping. And in my family, everyone waits till the last minute so they don't have time to wait for the stuff to be shipped. We registered at BRU for 21 items, 5 of which have been discontinued so there goes that bright idea- we are going today to add some stuff. We got so many frilly dresses last time around for DD and we are not frilly people.. despite the fact that we registered. Not a single person got us anything off our registry. (we had a small shower at our work and that was an hour from BRU).

At least this time around I don't have to worry about frilly pink dresses. I guess I need to be more concerned with Spongebob and Diego...

· Registered
5,470 Posts
I put mostly just stuff I need on my target registry (including a few adorable cloth diapers!) and some sample girl outfits so that people can see that pink and frilly and lacy are so NOT my thing, if they even bother to look. My registry is more like visual mental list of things I would like/need for the baby, and if someone wants to get on there and look and buy me something, YAY! If not, fine.

I am not entirely sure I am getting a shower. I'm not really working anymore, except for teaching homeschool co-op classes, and my church typically doesn't do showers for second babies, though a couple of moms from the church offered me a diaper shower. The thing is, I am cloth diapering and won't need 15 packages of disposables, so why even have the diaper shower?

· Registered
5,997 Posts
I had the same experience the first time, put lots of online shopping links for CDs instead I got the not real CDs from WalMart- I returned them and used the money for real ones
I ended up returning A LOT of stuff. At least they listened to me and no body bought me bottles- and I think I only got 1 pack of pacifiers.

· Registered
1,058 Posts
My mom keeps yapping at me cuz there's not enough little stuff on my registry. I counter by saying the big, expensive stuff I need (that I know no one will buy) is there, but I didn't register for a single item of clothing. I figure most people will best enjoy going and picking out an outfit or two, and that's something I could seriously give a crap about. I HATE shopping.

My plan is the same - take back the things I don't like and use the credit toward the stuff on my registry I NEED. I know with my wedding registry, we were able to get like 10 or 20% off everything still left on the registry after the wedding date. I'm not positive it's the same for the baby registry, but just in case I put everything I'd need on there...the discount would be nice.

· Registered
638 Posts
i think people just get excited. despite your registry had the things you needed, they want to buy the things they feel is more appropriate/within their budget/fun to buy. i know it sounds silly... but it /is/ cute to see how tiny onesies are and little socks, or just whatever for a newborn. so i think people, again, get excited and in the midst of shopping, buy whatever is first attractive?

an idea though. shop for the best deals and then include them in your registry(or make phonecalls/send out cards, online, whatever is easiest), so that people can see the price differences, and maybe they would be more apt to purchase what you have on there.

and as i seen some other people post on here, return stuff you don't need or will not use. it really isn't a rude gesture to do so, you have to have the items that are most convenient to you.

· Registered
5,260 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vegasgrl View Post
My plan is the same - take back the things I don't like and use the credit toward the stuff on my registry I NEED. I know with my wedding registry, we were able to get like 10 or 20% off everything still left on the registry after the wedding date. I'm not positive it's the same for the baby registry, but just in case I put everything I'd need on there...the discount would be nice.
I remember getting something like that for my registry after DS was born- hopefully BRU still does it!

· Registered
717 Posts
I think people won't buy cloth diapers because they view them as expensive. Silly, I know, but I have asked for cloth so many times and I have given up. My MIL is the only one who will buy it for me, but she won't buy the stuff I use.
She only buys what she thinks is cute, which 90% of the time means it won't work on my particular baby or it's just not easy to care for and I don't like it.

I know my stupid step-mother told me "$36 for a dozen diapers? A box of disposables doesn't cost that much and you get like 72 of them!" I tried explaining the whole reuse them for two to three years and multiple kids, yadda yadda yadda. Needless to say, didn't work and I think she bought me a pack of sposies. Sigh. Never mind trying to explain to someone a pocket diaper. "$18 for one diaper????? That they wear for like an hour and pee in????? What?????" Sometimes it's best to not try to convert the ignorant

· Banned
1,083 Posts
Because everyone else knows best what you need, even if they haven't seen what you have! Boogers. What's especially annoying in your case is that you were pressured into registering!

I've lucked out in that I've got a ton of support regarding cloth diapering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.