Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

had my OB appt today. My protein is a +3 and I gained SIX pounds since last week. My BP is still 136/76 (but a normal bottom number for me is in the mid 60s). When he checked me, I was only 1 cm. dilated and 0% effaced. Argh.

I have felt I was getting PIH again for the last 3 weeks simply because its following the same pattern. With DD, things started creeping up the last few weeks similar to this. Last time, it was the BP that was the last to go.

OB agreed that it was time to have this baby. I don't see any reason to wait around until my BP is up and I feel like utter sh*t and don't even wanna move out of the bed. KWIM?

Sooo, induction is scheduled for sunday night. We'll go in at 6pm. Get cervadil and a sleeping pill. Then start pitocin on Monday morning.

I'm worried I'll end up with a C-section, but I also know this is the right decision so I'll just make strong wishes. I managed last time under less favorable conditions to get a vaginal birth. But GOD I HATE inductions. I just really was hoping to go into labor on my own this time. That was my big wish
DD's birth was an agonizing nightmare.

I'm also wondering how I ended up here TWICE. I thought it was so rare for second time moms (with the same dad). My OB thought I was at very little risk for it. So I'm concerned there's some other underlying health condition I've yet to discover that's causing this. Pre-e is such a mystery still. I imagine maybe some day I'll understand this. My mom had two babies over 9 lbs. and now is diabetic, but back when she had us there was no such thing as Gestational Diabetes. So maybe by the time my kids are having kids, there will be an explanation for why I've had this twice? Oh well, I can speculate all I want.

In the meantime, my doula has prescribed that I eat lots of protein (wanted me to have steak tonight), lay around on my left side, and have plenty of sex.

So basically I get to eat, be lazy, and get laid....a prescription I can handle.

Please make wishes for us that everything works out well. At least we'll be meeting this little one soon!
XOXO
B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
i feel for you. my induction sucked. i know sometimes they go fine though. hopefully this next one is a little easier for you
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
So sorry you have to be induced again when you were hoping not too.


I was induced with the cervadil for both my prior pregnancies (for being "overdue"
) but I never had to have pit. I wonder why they can't try inducing you the way I was? It worked well, as far as inductions go. My stories were both almost identical. I started at a 2 cm and they did a dose of the gel early AM, I had to lay down for 30min so it would stay in a do it's thing, and then I walked/jogged the halls and stairs for 2 hours, then they did another dose, I layed down for 30 min. then walked around, showered, bounced on a birth ball ect for another 2 hours, and then they went to do the third dose and I was 6-7 cm so they just broke my water. I was fully dialated within 30 minutes after that. Besides the gel I had a natural birth (no IV/epi/pit ect and I was able to move around most of the time) I hope all goes well for you!!

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
BethSLP...I am sorry! I am 1 week post-partum now after induction due to elevated blood pressure and protein in the urine. This was also my 2nd induction due to blood pressure issues and I was also very sad I couldn't go on my own. Unlike you, my blood pressure was quite elevated (still is)...running 160/99 since week 35.5 Last time it spiked in week 36. BEcause I have underlying chronic high blood pressure and I didn't show any protein until day of induction, we tried medication at first for the blood pressure. It didn't do a thing. How was your first induction?

Are any of your other lab values off? Platelets? Liver function?

My first induction was as it seems this is is outlined for you..cervadil at night and fortunately it kicked me into labor and son was born at 6am the next day without need for pitocin. I was so scared this time because I knew there was no way this induction could be as good as last time. I was right! I'm KICKING myself for not going in even 12 hours earlier for induction and doing it again with cervadil. This time I chose to wait 24 hours and get a night's sleep at home. Well, by the time I got to hospital I was spilling protein in my urine and in combo with the blood pressure elevation I had to get magnesium sulfate drip (did you have that first time?). I did end up tolerating pitocin induction without narcotics and had vaginal birth (I wrote my story in past post..."induction tomorrow") It was a harder induction this time because I was awake the whole time and because of the magnesium sulfate and couldn't move around.

As much as I was sad about not going on my own, this is serious stuff and I'm thankful I was induced both times and feeling sad now that I wasn't induced earlier (before the protein spilled) because of the mag sulfate drip was not fun. I'm curious why your doc is waiting until Sunday for induction? What are your other labs?

You can do it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sdmoose,

the weird thing is that he didn't run any labs.
my doula asked me the same question and I didn't have an answer.

I'm assuming he didnt directly send me for an induction because things don't look THAT dire since my bp is still OK.

does anyone think I'm making a premature decision here? I didn't think so at first, but some reactions I've gotten make me wonder. I guess my feeling is there is really not any other explanation other than creeping PIH and I really really don't want to wait until I feel so crappy with high BP to do the induction. KWIM? What else would explain my massive swelling, increased proteinuria, and slightly elevated BP? (FYI, my BP has been stable at 136/76 for the last 3 weeks...)

My last induction was at 6 days overdue. My MW was trying as hard as she could to keep the homebirth. I believe it was quite obvious in retrospect that I was PIH, but we were all trying to ignore it as long as we could.

I went in at night, did the cervadil and it did NOTHING. my cervix was totally hard and closed. the started the pit at 6am. I didn't feel anything until the second highest dose of pitocin. then things slowly started happening. I was in agony and thought I must be in transition only to find out I was at 4 freaking cm. I begged for an epidural. The anaesthesiologist was in a C-section and wasn't available for another HOUR which felt like an eternity. THen when he came in, he refused to do the epi without current blood work/platelet count. I am a horrible stick, so they had to cut my finger and milk the blood out like a baby. It was awful. Then they gave me the epidural. I went from 5-9 cm in one hour. The epidural gave me some relief, but I could still feel her head ramming into my back (posterior presentation). It was like the epidural didn't take on one side.

Because she wasn't ready to be born and dropped into the canal funny, she was stuck. I pushed for 3.5 hours. I was actually snoring in between pushes and saying things that made no sense. Finally something shifted, and she came rocketing out. I felt the ring of fire too, so my epidural must have been crappy. The doctor was not even at the hospital. So the nurses all panicked and some idiot cut the cord before I had even birthed her shoulders. Thankfully one push and she was out the rest of the way. They had to resuscitate her, and there was all this "talk to your baby" drama with DH. Scared the crap out of him.

Her head looked like a melted icecream cone it was so pointed on one side. She went through hell for sure.

So yeah, my induction was totally sucky.

I didn't have mag sulfate because I told them I didn't want it, and I was still not majorly high with my BP (I think it was 120s over 90s). I told them I would sign a waiver or something if need be. They were mainly only pushing it for after the birth. I don't think anyone suggested it for during the labor.

Does anyone think I should try castor oil or another natural induction method before Sunday? I'm not opposed to it (last time all it did was give me rockin diahrrea but it wasn't such a big deal). I'm just assuming with 1 cm dilation and 0% effacement, it is probably just going to give me the sh*ts and thats it.

Any thoughts/opinions are welcome....
XOXO
B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI, my doctor friend told me today that pre-e is possibly linked to magnesium deficiency. Well guess what, people with mitral valve prolapse are notoriously magnesium deficient. I pretty much cured my MVP by taking a magnesium supplement. Argh.

If only I had known that before. I was taking Cal Mag, but only 1 a day (rather than 3) because I never remembered and my MVP was in check. argh argh argh.

But perhaps this is a reason for my tendency toward PIH??

XOXO
B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
I was monitored for PreE towards the end of my last preg, with multiple 24-hour urine collections, BPs as high as 155/110 (normal 120s/80s)etc. When I was creeping up to 40 weeks and my last 24-hour collection started spiking up again after upping protein, water, decreasing salt, modified bedrest, my MWs recommended oral and vaginal EPO to help soften me up to prepare for an induction...and it did help soften me up. I did about every natural induction method except castor oil, and now I kind of wish I would have, but that's neither here nor there at this point.

I hope you're able to either go into labor on your own before Sunday, or that you have a less traumatic induction this time around!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
No time to read the other posts (new baby to gaze lovingly at!), but I was scheduled induction for the same reasons (except it was the next day) and I wound up going naturally (thank you castor oil) and showing up at the appointment 4cms and in active labor and didn't have to have anything.

I'll send some dust your way.


Best of luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
eso,

so castor oil worked for you, huh? I'm contemplating trying it. were you at all dilated or effaced?

I feel like it would be a long shot, but I'm not opposed to diahhrea that vehemently that I would write off trying.....

XOXO
B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
p.s. already planning to do EPO orally and vaginally as well as getting some, um, deposits from DH.....

XOXO
B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
I'm so sorry that you have to go through this! I had an emergency induction 3 weeks ago due to a placental cyst that was by the cord (cutting off nutrients to the baby) so I know how crappy inductions can be.

I would definately try the castor oil, I did that with my last pregnancy and it worked. IF I would have had more time I would have tried castor oil with this one before I allowed the pitocin

I hope everything works out for you! Hugs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post

So basically I get to eat, be lazy, and get laid....a prescription I can handle.
I love this!!

I hope whatever you decide to do works for you!!! These descisions are never easy!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,966 Posts
Best wishes to you ~ I hope baby comes out quickly on its own!

(I did castor oil with my 13 days overdue baby and it did nothing. I did it with my 14 days overdue baby and it worked and quickly. Basically if you/your body is ready, it'll work. If not, it'll clean out your bowels really well.
)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Best wishes to you ~ I hope baby comes out quickly on its own!

(I did castor oil with my 13 days overdue baby and it did nothing. I did it with my 14 days overdue baby and it worked and quickly. Basically if you/your body is ready, it'll work. If not, it'll clean out your bowels really well.
)
I figured. What I'm trying to figure out is if its possible that my body could be ready even though I'm only dilated 1cm and 0% effaced. I definetly have been crampy/contraction-y with some diahrrea already. but it seems unlikely that I could get results with my cervix looking so incredibly unwilling at this point....

any thoughts?
XOXO
B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,966 Posts
I know it's just a few days until Sunday...but how would you feel about taking some EPO until then? Orally and/or vaginally. I am facing an early'ish induction due to some issues with the baby so have started taking EPO sooner than I normally would. I've definitely noticed some changes in my cervix just since Friday when I started the EPO. (I hope it's not just my imagination, anyway!


Honestly, I figure anything "natural" that you can try is probably less trauma on a body than a medical indution. (Not to upset you at all b/c, again, I'm possibly facing the same thing, but for different reasons.)

Best wishes, no matter what happens.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top