Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the multiple forum, but thought I would ask here too. Since I felt early fetal movement for several weeks now, one of my midwive's assistant suggested it may be twins. I have two friends who are mom's of twins and have been asking them questions and comparing "symptoms". One thing that came up was the pregnancy test. The positive line was really, really dark (several shades darker than the control line) and she said the same thing happened with her and her twin pregnancy. So, I was wondering if this happened to anyone else???

·
Registered
668 Posts
Even though my HCG tripled in less than 24 hours my tests were never super dark. I used FMU. I went from 56, 3457 in just a few days. I am sure that it is different for all of us. Good luck

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
My line was super dark at 16 dpo, it showed up before the control and was way darker. Asfar as I know, there's only one baby in there, so I don't know if it's a good indicator of twins. I think it probably has more to do with the kind of test you use, when you test, and probably some individual physiology, that determines how much HCG is excreted in your urine.

Are you scheduled for an ultrasound anytime? Or I imagine that eventually it would become obvious that there were 2 in there, but it must be so hard to wait and find out!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlin View Post
My line was super dark at 16 dpo, it showed up before the control and was way darker. Asfar as I know, there's only one baby in there, so I don't know if it's a good indicator of twins. I think it probably has more to do with the kind of test you use, when you test, and probably some individual physiology, that determines how much HCG is excreted in your urine.

Are you scheduled for an ultrasound anytime? Or I imagine that eventually it would become obvious that there were 2 in there, but it must be so hard to wait and find out!

I am sure it does have to do with all those factors. Just with my previous pregnancies, the lines were all the same. Like I said, I didn't think anything of it until my friend brought it up.

I was not going to have an u/s at all unless medically necessary which is why I don't want to rush into things. The only benefit of knowing at this point is so I can up my diet. Other than that, not much else would change. Let me know if you find out for sure in your case. It would be very interesting to have our own little experiment!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Will do. I have absolutely no reason to suspect twins though. My Mom comes from a really big family (11 of them) and not one twin in at least 3 generations. I will be absolutely shocked if we end up with more than 1 at a time!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I'm not pregnant with twins, but I felt my baby move at 11 weeks. At our 12 week u/s we (including the doctor and u/s tech) coudln't believe how much the baby was moving around! They thought he/she was extremely active. Maybe you just have an active baby?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Yeah, I was going to say it's normal to feel baby pretty early. I felt mine at 10 weeks this time, and it's just one in there (I had a dating u/s at 9 weeks). Is your fundus in the normal spot for a singleton? If so, you probably just have an active baby.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I felt DS really early but he's a singleton.

The darkness of the HPT really depends on the day you take it, the brand you, use, etc. A dark insensitive test at 9dpo would be remarkable but a First Response Early Result at 16dpo? Not so interesting.

Let us know if you have more symptoms to obsess over! It's fun!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Blumom, do you have any twins on the maternal side of your family? This thread tweaked my interest so I was reading about twins this afternoon, and some of the things that increase the likelihood of multiples include genetics, increasing age, and increasing number of previous births. This is baby 4 for you right? Sorry to try and analyze you.
but as a previous poster said, it's fun to guess!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlin View Post
Blumom, do you have any twins on the maternal side of your family? This thread tweaked my interest so I was reading about twins this afternoon, and some of the things that increase the likelihood of multiples include genetics, increasing age, and increasing number of previous births. This is baby 4 for you right? Sorry to try and analyze you.
but as a previous poster said, it's fun to guess!
Actually, I do have twins on my maternal side (3 sets) and this is pregnancy #4 for me (and by far, the most "difficult" of all of them in many ways). But, there is really no way to tell unless I get an u/s and I am just not at that point yet. So...time will tell!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blumom2boyz View Post
Actually, I do have twins on my maternal side (3 sets) and this is pregnancy #4 for me (and by far, the most "difficult" of all of them in many ways). But, there is really no way to tell unless I get an u/s and I am just not at that point yet. So...time will tell!
I'm so excited for you!!! Please keep us posted!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.