Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already posted on this issue, but now we're about 99% sure that we are relocating to NC. We are coming down this weekend to look at different communities in the Charlotte/Lake Norman area.

I'm looking for a town or community that is walkable: I'd like to be able to walk or bike to the food store, the park, to get coffe, to a community pool and maybe to a resturaunt. I also want something near Lake Norman. I'd do a development if there's one that has some land. I'd like about .5 acres.

Someone posted here once before that the Charlotte area is full of yuppies, but is there any area that is even a little crunchy?

Does Davidson meet any of my criteria?

TIA!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Good guess! Davidson definitely meets all of your criteria! I grew up there, my parents still live there, and I'm about 7 miles away now.

There is a Home Economist (natural foods store) right there, and they're building a Harris Teeter soon that is just a regular grocery store. There's also a drugstore downtown.

There are a few restaurants which are not chains, that I love. Everything from upscale to burgers and fries. There's not a lot, but you won't starve. There's Summit Coffee and a Ben and Jerry's right downtown.

The Swimming Hole is the community pool, and last I heard, there was a waiting list. The YMCA is just outside of town, not far. I had to bike it many times growing up. They have an indoor pool, an outdoor pool and a waterfront area on the lake.
There are also several parks in the area, each are a little different depending on your kids ages and such.

There are a few subdivisions, but mostly it's just one big neighborhood. PM me if you want more info. I know they are building in a few areas, and our realtor lives in Davidson.

It's such a great area to raise a family. Your kids can walk to school, play outside until dark... I love it!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hi Kim,
I am also coming to charlotte this weekend from Florida, to scope out prospective communities too..
maybe we will end up being neighbors ..
does anybody have the name of a few nice small areas that I can check out near the charlotte area..I would totally apprecaite that.. we are looking at the Charlotte Area now and then perhaps Raliegh... depending on job market and housing affordability.. any places we should most defintely avoid would be of value also..

Love and Light,
Jaime

·
Registered
616 Posts
I really just know the area north of Charlotte - Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson. I think they're all nice places. It depends on what you're looking for. Huntersville and Cornelius definitely have more subdivisions and are more affordable, but they lack the walkability and charm Davidson has.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd say Davidson meets your criteria. It is a little pricey though, hence why we don't live there.

Huntersville and Cornelius are great though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked out Davidson and it is nice. Thanks!
I also heard that Plaza Midwood in Charlotte is cool. Does anyone have any info on that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts