Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been going through tons of names and can't agree. I finally told DH that as long as he doesnt hate the name I get veto power! :LOL The name I really like for a girl is Kate. Just plain Kate. DH says no, it has to be short for Katherine or Katarina or Katelyn or something but I don't want it to be short for something. If I name her Katherine or Katarina obviously at some point she will be called Katherine or Katarina. Its not that I don't like those names but why bother naming a child something you have no intention of calling them. DH says Kate is too short, especially with Elijah and Olivia. But we usually just call our son Lijah (the E seems to get lost! LOL) and our daughter is usually Liv or Livvie. Kate would be Kate or Katie. I think Olivia and Kate go well together as sisters, they both sound like classic victorian names. So what do you think?

Also the boy name I have almost decided on is Nathan. Any opinions on this name? Is it a popular name? I don't know any child Nathan's at all. DH wants Nathaniel but again why name him Nathaniel if I am always going to call him Nathan.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I can see your point. However I tend to agree with you DH on this. I prefer longer names with shorter NN. This way your child has a variety of options when they get older. (out of the house sort of thing)

I see Nathan as a stand alone name, but I just like Nathaniel better. I haven't heard anyone use that name (either one) in a while.

Just because their legal name is longer, does not mean they'll use it. My sister only uses her NN, except for legal stuff that she chooses to use her full name on anyway.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I like Kate too (it's on our prospective name list). I am horrible about keeping track of what's popular. The only name that I know is popular is Madison. I live in a city named Madison, so I think it is a bit of overkill to name your chld that if you live there too. The Social Security Administration baby name site is a good place to check popularity:
www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

I am torn about whether I would want to do Kate as a stand-alone name. I totally hear your point about why not just name the child what you want to call her. I have some friends who just went through this about the name Alex (for a girl). They couldn't agree so they went with something else. I have an uncle who thinks the child's offical name should be something that looks good on a diploma in case s/he goes that kind of a route in life. His son is Gunnar Andreas and they call him Gus.

I agree that Kate and Oliva go well together.

Nathan was on our list for DS. To me this is fine as a stand-alone name. I'm not a Nathaniel fan, though I don't hate it.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I totally see your point. Me and DH had the same Kate conversation not too long ago. I also like the name Lucy but was told it was short for Lucille or Lucinda, both of which I don't prefer. I say if you don't love the longer version just make the nn the legal name. Oh and I vote for just Kate, sounds good with the other kids names.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starr
I totally see your point. Me and DH had the same Kate conversation not too long ago. I also like the name Lucy but was told it was short for Lucille or Lucinda, both of which I don't prefer. I say if you don't love the longer version just make the nn the legal name. Oh and I vote for just Kate, sounds good with the other kids names.
My DP likes Lucia--but it doesn't go well with the last name the baby would have.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I completely agree with you about names and shortening them etc., I have put my foot down to no more than two syllables and then they are less likely to be shortened. Long names unless you use the full name are not my thing really - I'm in the same position with you about names with dh though, but seeing as it is me that this pregnant and he decided to put me on the spot and find out what the sex was in the scan room - belly exposed etc.
: , I have imposed final say over the name!!!! - not that I'd choose something he really dislikes but .....

·
Registered
663 Posts
I like the name Kate but I also do like to give the kids options to choose from for their future. Good thing about Kate is that its not too cutsey or anything. It is very femenine yet strong.

Czen

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
My parents are against giving a kid a name other than what you will call them. My dad's given name is Ronald Michael and he goes by Mike; my mom's name is Donna Susan and she goes by Sue. :LOL I call them their aliases. :LOL

I love Kate as her full name and I think it's lovely with Olivia.

I tend to agree with my parents. However, I did name my DD Elizabeth with the plan to use Liz as a NN. She's only been Elizabeth without NNs so far, though. It just fits her.

As far as Nathan, it's sort of 80s to me but I like it otherwise.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Kate would have two middle names because all of our children have two middle names so she would have more possibilities to choose from. My name is Shawna - not much you can do with nicknames so I was always Shawna and I don't remember being upset by it. My son is Elijah Michael Zion so he could choose Eli, Elijah, Michael, Mike, or Zion. My daughter is Olivia Antonia Faith so she's got Olivia, Liv, Livvie, Antonia, Toni, or Faith. This baby (if its a girl) would then be Kate Eva something. Eva is for my deceased grandmother so its non-negotiable but I don't know what for the third name. Something longer probably. What long middle name would you put with it? The ones I've come up with as possibilities are:

Kate Eva Shannon (a derivative of my name - Shawna)
Kate Eva Beatrice (for DH's grandma)
Kate Eva Jeanine (My mother's middle name is Jean and DH's mother is Jan so it would honour both of them)
Kate Eva Julianne or Juliana (DH's sister is Julia)
Kate Eva Elizabeth
Kate Eva Charlotte

I think my favorite is either Kate Eva Shannon or Kate Eva Jeanine.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Like Kate a lot - and I think Katarina is beautiful! Either is great. Kate and Olivia do sound like sisters - but I do agree that one syllable vs. four seems a tiny bit odd.

Nathan is good - and I LOVE Nate for a nickname!!!!!!! Nathaniel is too stuffy IMO - I hear it in an English accent.

For the second middle name, I'd go with whichever relative you really are closest to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.