Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there we aren't finding out the gender of this LO and so we have a boy name and a girl name. We are pretty set on the name for the boy, and I thought we were for the girl until my G-ma said that she'd picked my middle name(what we were thinking of using as the middle name). I can't stand her and every time I've been pregnant she is the only person who feels she needs to be involved with choosing the name.

So here it is Ruby Jolene. I am now thinking possibly Ruby Alice(after DH's G-ma).

What do you think, I like Ruby Jolene very much and think Ruby Jo would be a cute girl's name, as her NN.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
I really like Ruby Jolene. I think that it flows well and I really think that Ruby Jo is cute.

·
Registered
168 Posts
How annoying for you!

Ruby Jo is an adorable girl's name. If you don't like the idea of Jolene anymore, have you considered picking a middle name other than Jolene with Jo as a nickname (eg Josephine, Jody, Joanna, Joan, Joelle, or even just Jo)?

Ruby Alice is a lovely name too.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Oh I looove Ruby. I think Alice and Jolene both flow well and are lovely, though I can hear your dilemma
As a pp suggested~ Ruby Josephine is soo pretty.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Is it possible your grandma was exaggerating or doesn't remember correctly? Just because she said she picked it doesn't mean that's really how it happened.

I feel for you re your disliked grandma. I've got one of those, too, and it sucks because she's got the only name I'd consider gifting a child with. My beloved other grandma was a Beulah and DH's awesome grandma is LaVon.... sigh!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm not much help because I really like both of them. Ruby Alice would have the added benefit of starting up an Alice in Wonderland collection for her, if you are into it. I had a teacher whose daughter was named Alice, and she collected vintage copies of the book for her. I always thought that was a neat idea.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ruby Jolene is just gorgeous! I like Ruby Alice as well, but it just doesn't have quite the same flow as Jolene.

Can you just pretend your G-ma never mentioned that?

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks ladies we really do like Ruby Jolene, I like it with Alice also(I also LOVE DH's G-ma). I just love Ruby Jo as a name it is too cute.

My G-ma totally could be making this stuff up, from what I remember my parents told my that my first name(Erin) would have been Erin or Arron and the middle name Jolene or Joesph, so obviously they like the Erin Jo thing. She probably is making it up to feel important. She is very annoying she actually offered me money to name DD Nora Jean(umm, no). Then before I was pg she said that we should name a baby Nadia or Nathan(she has a thing with all names starting with the same letter). I told her we like Lily, and then when she found out I was pg she already had named the baby Lily Jean, ugh
:. She's so flippin weird.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Norasmomma, maybe she told your parents they should name you Erin Jean, then decided Jolene was close enough to Jean to take credit!

Is your G-ma named Jean, btw? She seems awfully fixated on the name.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelmendi View Post
Norasmomma, maybe she told your parents they should name you Erin Jean, then decided Jolene was close enough to Jean to take credit!

Is your G-ma named Jean, btw? She seems awfully fixated on the name.
No it's her middle name, and what's weird is that it was the name her dad wanted for a boy(Gene), but had a girl and so she got the middle name Jean. Honestly she's really weird and gets completely OCD about the strangest stuff, she is rather mind boggling. She also is peeved because no one has named a kid after her(Bonnie Jean), but we all can't stand her because she truly is the most awful person I know(and she's completely self-absorbed). That may be why she has this weird name thing, IDK. She's got this matriarchal obsession that we should all name our kids after her because she is the queen or something
. She is so strange.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I'd name the baby Ruby Jolene and consider her to be named for her mom- you. I agree your grandma probably wanted your middle name to be Jean too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
No it's her middle name, and what's weird is that it was the name her dad wanted for a boy(Gene), but had a girl and so she got the middle name Jean. Honestly she's really weird and gets completely OCD about the strangest stuff, she is rather mind boggling. She also is peeved because no one has named a kid after her(Bonnie Jean), but we all can't stand her because she truly is the most awful person I know(and she's completely self-absorbed). That may be why she has this weird name thing, IDK. She's got this matriarchal obsession that we should all name our kids after her because she is the queen or something
. She is so strange.
Based on this, I really think that she wanted your middle name to be Jean. I think you can ignore what she has said about choosing Jolene. Is there anyone (a parent, an older sibling, an aunt or uncle, a family friend) that was around when you were named that might know for sure?

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She totally made up the story. It's not remotely true. Just proves that she is crazy. My mom told me today that she loved the song "Jolene" and that was where the name came from. She was standing there when my G-ma said it, I don't know why she didn't say anything then. So weird.

So the name will be Ruby Jolene after all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.