Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had a boy named picked out for a long time. We have 4 choices of girl names and I think we're going to wait until the baby is born and then decided (if it's a girl). The middle name is Carol after dh's grandmother. Our first name choices are:

Eleanor -goes really well with our other two girls' names, but seems to be getting more popular.

Johanna (prnounced yo-hahna)-This is my favorite as it has a family meaning and goes great with our last name. I'm really worried about the spelling/pronounciation thing being a pain for her whole life.

Willa-Love this one, but I'm not sure I have the guts to use it, if that makes any sense.

Dehlia-I love it, but I'm not completely sure it's the right one.

The other two girls have very old/classic 3 syllable names.

I'd love any input.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Johanna was one of my name choices for my dd, but I was going to pronounce the "J" as it is pronounced in English. My DH wasn't too keen on it, so that's why she's now Joanna.

So, that's my favorite on your list!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
At first glance Willa is my fav, but I don't care for Willa Carol together. It just doesn't flow right to me.

Johanna is also beautiful & would be my choice although you & your daughter will forever be correcting people on how to say & spell her name.

Dehlia I am not sure how you would say this one, so I guess the confusion factor rules it out for me
Del-lia maybe, if so that is VERY pretty & flows best with Carol next to Johanna.

Eleanor is also nice, but again doesn't seem to flow well with Carol to me. What about Caroline as a mn? That flows better with Eleanore & Willa in my opinion. But then again it is just that, my opinion

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to have a different middle name, but Carol is a non-negotiable. Both other girls have family names from my side and dh is really excited about using Carol. It just doesn't do anything for me, kwim?

Dehlia could also be spelled just Delia (Dee-li-a).

I really, really wish Johanna wouldn't have the pronunciation problems associated with it. I especially worry about my IL's. They still can't/won't pronounce SIL's name correctly. It's Laurie (Law-rie), but they call her Lori (lor-ie) and it drives her nuts. I would be seriously pissed if they didn't make the effort to say my dd's name correctly, kwim?
This is likely our last baby and our boy name is a nod to both dh and his family and my grandfather (John and Joe), and that's the main reason I love Johanna b/c it also "acknowledges" those names.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy
Dehlia could also be spelled just Delia (Dee-li-a).

I really, really wish Johanna wouldn't have the pronunciation problems associated with it. I especially worry about my IL's. They still can't/won't pronounce SIL's name correctly. It's Laurie (Law-rie), but they call her Lori (lor-ie) and it drives her nuts. I would be seriously pissed if they didn't make the effort to say my dd's name correctly, kwim?
This is likely our last baby and our boy name is a nod to both dh and his family and my grandfather (John and Joe), and that's the main reason I love Johanna b/c it also "acknowledges" those names.
To look at Dehlia is prettier, but I think it would confuse alot of people that didn't take the time. So Delia Carol I think would be my choice, along with Johanna Carol, but pronouned Jo-han-na. I know that is not how you want to pronounce it so that is moot
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Willa is my favorite out of the 4. Carol wouldn't be my first choice to put with Willa, but like you said Carol is a done deal and I could live with Willa Carol (if it were my baby).

Elanor would be my second choice

I do like all of the names you have picked! Maybe you should wait to see which name fits her after she is born (if you have a girl).

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsmama2
I do like all of the names you have picked! Maybe you should wait to see which name fits her after she is born (if you have a girl).
Thanks
. That's what we're planning on doing. I just wanted to get some input and I appreciate it so much. I knew I could count on you ladies.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about how people will say/spell it. I always have to correct spelling for both my husband's and my names, and his name is Darin, simple simple! My name, Cara, rhymes with Sarah, but most people guess car-uh. My hubby's grandma calls me Carrie, lots of people call me Kiera... It's just kinda how it goes with names. I don't think I'd let that be a deciding factor if you really love the name

I went to school with a Delia, and she didn't have that many problems with her name.

·
Registered
64 Posts
since my hubby is polish, i know names can often get pronounced wrong... as with my first name (which is welsh).

the correct spelling is gwynneth but i always get GWEN-ITH... which is why i have casually changed my spelling to gwinith... everyone gets it... so my suggestion is....
spell it "Yohanna" and that way it'll NEVER get mispronounced.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gwinith
since my hubby is polish, i know names can often get pronounced wrong... as with my first name (which is welsh).

the correct spelling is gwynneth but i always get GWEN-ITH... which is why i have casually changed my spelling to gwinith... everyone gets it... so my suggestion is....
spell it "Yohanna" and that way it'll NEVER get mispronounced.
That would be my .02c too. Yo-hana is very pretty sounding.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It would be easier to spell if phonetically, but then I lose the Jo, which is after dh and my grandfather.
Maybe it'll be a boy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts