Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're having a name dilemma too. The name that keeps coming back to us is extremely close to my daughter's name. Too close for her comfort actually. And dh's family hates it. Actually, they hate most all of the names on our list and keep repeating their suggestions as if by saying it enough times it will just have to be. They're suggesting Noah, Evan, and Richard (which is both my FIL and BIL's name) I don't hate those names but they're just not right for us. This is their first grandson though and they feel like they should have more of a say in this one since he'll be carrying on the family name.
:

We have a rather uncommon Italian last name that not many things "go" with- starts with V has a "che" sound and ends in "-etto". The name that has come to me in a dream and through morning prayer time is.... Levi Emmanuel

The other names we like are:
-Guthrie (our 2nd choice but warrants a "h*** no!" on the in-law scale)
-Eli
-Eliijah
-Samuel
-Micah (which was first on the list with the last pregnancies but friends have since named their son this so it would be like stepping on their toes a bit)

I don't know what I'm seeking to find exactly. Is Levi too close to Olivia who often goes by Livi or Liv? Or would you choose another name off the list? How much does the extended family's opinion matter anyway? (considering that MIL named her boys after characters on her favorite soap opera after the firstborn) Other ideas? Middle names for the rest?

TIA

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Yeah, it's tricky talking to IRL folks about names.... I try to hold back our first picks and get opinions on our 2nd choices- or names I'm trying to convince dh of!

I like Elijah (w/nickname Eli)- Olivia & Elijah are a little tongue twist-y, but Livi & Eli or Olivia and Eli are fine; IMHO.

I think Evan is really starting to stage a comeback, you can always beg out with 'too popular'. Don't know how to help you with Richard! That's my dh's dad, too, but my SIL just stuck that in her boy's name, so we should be safe leaving that one out.

Good luck and do watcha wanna- it's okay!!

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Livi and Levi are close. I like Levi Emmanuel though. I also like Elijah or Eli a lot!

Don't let others talk you out of naming your baby what you want to!!

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Who cares what your inlaws think! This drives me crazy. Your child, your choice! My inlaws don't like either of our name choices and I really could care less.

I think Guthrie is a fantastic name. Micah is a little too polpular for my taste but is also a nice name

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I like Elijah, and Eli- and I think it goes well with Olivia. Don't listen to anyone buy you and DH. I learned that the hard way. LOL

·
Registered
912 Posts
I ditto the "who cares what others think..." my MIL HATED Amara, she said she'd never be able to pronounce it and would just call her Amy. ?!!! Fortunately, once she saw little baby Amara, she didn't care what her granddaughter was named, and has never once called her Amy either.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'll also echo the forget what the in-laws say. Name your child what you love! We're lucky in that our parents are pretty hands-off when it comes to our parenting choices - or they at least smile and nod
But regardless, we don't share our names around here at all because we know that we'd get comments from the peanut gallery... and their comments won't change influence our decision once it's printed on a birth certificate!

I like Guthrie! It's not common, but it's not so uncommon that no one will know how to pronounce it (not that that's a problem, either... from someone who grew up correcting a billion mispronounciations of Genevieve).

·
Registered
769 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gen_here
But regardless, we don't share our names around here at all because we know that we'd get comments from the peanut gallery... and their comments won't change influence our decision once it's printed on a birth certificate!
That's a good idea, actually...
It would take pretty bad manners to gripe about a name that's already in print!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by poetesss
That's a good idea, actually...
It would take pretty bad manners to gripe about a name that's already in print!
Oh... they'll still gripe about it - manners are unheard of here. I just won't care then =)

(The other day I answered the phone, "Hello!" The voice on the other end said, and I'm not lying, "So... is the pastor there or what?" I steamed and fumed for awhile, but she messed with me on the wrong day... we have caller ID and I called her back and gave her a lesson on phone manners!
)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by papercranegirl
How much does the extended family's opinion matter anyway? (considering that MIL named her boys after characters on her favorite soap opera after the firstborn)
What are they going to do, write a different name on his Christmas presents and explain to him that's the name he SHOULD have had?

Levi and Olivia are so close ... BUT ... some families like having children's names be that close. Olivia might not be too wild about it, though.

I like Elijah--wanted that to be on our list of boy names, but DH said no, and then his first cousin had a boy two months ago and named him Elijah, and then we found out we were having a girl anyway. Suffice it to say I will have no Elijah.

Elijah Samuel works well. I don't know if Elijah Emmanuel would work with the alliteration, but you would get used to it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok I just have to say naming YOUR baby is something very special for the PARENTS of the baby. Stop worrying about what others think of your name choices, go with your gut. STOP talking about names with your inlaws!!!! THEY have NO say in this matter! Just reading about this makes me upset that family memebers think they have a right to name a child they didn't even create!! If they want a Noah or Evan or another Richard tell them to adopt a child!! HA!! ok sounds harsh maybe but it is YOUR son and a name is for life. I believe having that Italian last name is carring on the FAMILY name, so first name can be what ever you decide. I wouldn't tell them the name till the baby arrives.

My DD has a tough pronounced name and I personally don't like nicknames (when nicknames are used immediately at birth instead of the full name given on the birth certificate) ... I will be correcting people on my DD's name and that's ok with me cause it's such a beautiful name TO ME!!

As for as name suggestions I'm not going to suggest any. Good luck on your search for the perfect name and you will find it!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the validation regarding the in-laws. It's good to hear these responses as we live in a fairly tight-knit ethnic community where it is perfectly acceptable for the older generation to impose their ideals on the younger adults. It won't be WWIII if we chose one of our names but there will be a good deal of grumbling.

We know we want to wait to see him before settling on a final name. Our oldest daughter chose her younger sister's name from the list when our top 3choices didn't "fit" so who knows what this one will be. I'll still be hoping that Levi, Guthrie, or Elijah will be a match though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts