Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are experienced Mamas in here too, So I thought I'd pose my question in here first.

I do not plan on buying any extra furniture for baby. Having said that, i do want an easy place to change baby without the dog coming to investigate. So, I'm asking my dad to make a changing station that will sit on top of our dresser. The dresser is kinda low so I'm asking him to add on 8.5" of height. I feel that will bring baby up high enough so that it is easier to change diapers without bending over so much.

My question is this:
What things did you like about your changing area, what didn't you like?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
I hated changing tables to begin with. I keep all the diaper stuff in a couple of those Rubbermaid plastic dresser things and bring a few diapers & wipes out to the couch & just change them there.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have to agree with pp. I just could not like changing tables. We changed on the bed or the sofa. I also changed on the floor, but not when the dog was around!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I just used a flannel blanket on the floor and then stored his diapers in baskets and a dresser drawer. Now we have an extra bathroom with lots of drawers so they're stored in there.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I put changing pads on a dresser upstairs and a desk downstairs. Don't have room for an extra piece of furniture like a changing table.

I love my cloth wipes, herbal wipe solution, and wipe warmer.

ND

·
Registered
891 Posts
Another person checking in as not having a changing table. I changed dipes on the bed, couch, floor, probably some other places I don't remember. I think that it's great that your dad is going to build you something, I bet he'll be able to customize it so that it will be perfect for your needs.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 'table' is going to go on top of the dresser as the dresser is too low (only 28" high) to change anything on. The other dresser is much too high.

I figure I'll be changing diapers wherever the need arises, but wanted to have an option that wasn't the floor nor the futon (our couch).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My MIL gave me an old changing table she had and I found it really useful. I thought I would be fine with changing on the bed all the time, but the table really was much better for my back. Plus, it has two shelves where I store all the diapers, wipes, etc. Ditto on loving cloth wipes. I change most of dd's diapers with her standing up, now. We've been doing that for a long time, but I still use the changing table for poopy diapers.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Rails, I liked rails. It felt more secure to me. Nothing real high just about 2". Also make sure there is a lot of room for baby, diapers, wipes, etc. I really liked my changing table when they were first born and I was sore, it was easier on my back and pelvis. Since yours will be on top of a dresser you can't probably have any shelving underneath which I liked for storing blankets, crib sheets (that were never used) extra wipes, diapers and whatever else I could shove down there. Now that we don't use it as much it is more a place for toys or books and generally used for climbing.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Katt, you definately want it the right height. I had a pack and play set up for a while downstairs as a changing spot but it was too low and killed my back. Your platform will be cool, is he going to make cubby spots for baskets to slide in?

ND

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It'll be about 8" off the dresser, that will bring the platform (good word) to about 36". I think there should be room for some baskets to slide underneath for CDs.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
We've never used a changing table at home...too expensive and we don't have the room for more furniture...

Wherever I can put a baby down is where we change. A blanket is helpful (or a large prefold) in case of messy cleanups. Right now I have a wicker basket to hold all the supplies and I can move it to wherever I need it.

Wherever you change, watch that overuse of your back. Beds and floors work well for me, since I'm taller than most tables seem to think a mama should be and it makes the back ache soooo much.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I also loved my changing table, DD is almost 2 and we use it almost every time. We use cloth dipes/cloth wipes so it is just easier to have everything in one spot, and the pail for dirties. I liked having drawers to keep stuff in, baskets would work too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had a changing table with DD and it was a big ole' pain. We got rid of it when she was 18-months and moved to a big girl bed. If I'd realized how much easier it was to just change her on the floor or on the bottom of our bed, I wouldn't have bothered with her. We have her diapers and wipes in a dresser drawer and it's really easy to grab one. And we'll definitely not have a seperate table this time.

Having said that, the things I did like about it was a rail on the side to help protect her from falling (not that I left her alone on there, but just for my comfort factor) and storage underneath for wipes and diapers.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
when they're tiny I liked the changing table (esp. for cloth diapering!) when your diapers take up so much space and you have a nice dedicated area for all the diapers and covers and stuff--and diaper pail. It can be messy on the bed and I'd rather wash a blankie than the whole bed (little boys can shoot pretty far sometimes!). Esp. if you have back problems--having something at the right height is great when you are changing diapers all the time. But we just use a regular dresser to store cloth diapers, covers, wipes away from the other kids (who think destin is sunblock when no one is looking) with a diaper pad attached to it. I'm short so the height is just right.

But we only use this for about a year--then the kid is too big to lift and the floor works great... but I still need somewhere to put all those diapers!

·
Registered
766 Posts
We used a changing table too... ours seems to be just the right height to avoid a sore back, and ditto what the other posters said... nice to have room to store all those diapers and the pail in easy reach!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We don't have room for a changing table, so we're just using a changing pad on top of the baby's dresser to give it 2-in-1 functionality. I already have an organizer thingy for diapers, wipes, etc. right next to it, so it shouldn't be too hard to have everything on hand when I need it.

The baby will be sleeping in our room for awhile though, so I'm just grabbing one of those multi-purpose pads to use on the bed for nighttime diaper changes.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
We didn't have a changing table either, but we did have a changing pad like this that we attached to the top of our dresser:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=search

Most of the time, we changed him wherever we happened to be (on the bed, on the couch, the floor), but once he started wanting to flip all over the place during changes, the belt was nice to have for really messy dipes.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I really liked having a changing table when DS was little. It was SOOOO much easier on the back. And since yours will be built to the desired height, I think it sounds awesome!
When I had to do floor/bed/couch/etc, it just hurt my back too much. Also, when they get mobile, they learn the alligator roll. Some babies do better on the floor during this time, and some babies do better on a changing table during this time (with your hand on them at all times, of course!). My DS did better on the changing table. The floor made it too easy to roll, since there was plenty of room!

Now that he weighs 30 lbs, I don't use the changing table anymore. Lifting him up is too much, plus his feet go past the end of the table! So we mostly do floor changes now, and he's gotten really good about it - I tell him to lay down, and he finds a good spot and lays down. He's really compliant these days. Amazing. I would rather change him up high, but getting him there just isn't worth it.

As for what to build into the changing table... You need a place for CDs, covers, and wipes. So some cubbies in the bottom and maybe a space at the end to put wipes would be good.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I have a changing table and really like it. It has three drawers as well as a 'tower' part to the right side that is a cabinet with shelves. I like being able to keep all of baby's things right there together, diapers, clothes, etc. I have a contoured cushion and I added a separate waterproof cloth pad that I can whisk off to the laundry if anything gets on it.

I could live without the furniture as long as everything was centralized and easy to reach and not too cluttered.

Oh, and as an added benefit, the changing table has been our chest of drawers for 2 DCs for several years now, so the design I have can be used for more than just changing and will be around, in service, until DC are grown and gone (and probably even after, I won't be opposed to someone taking it with them when they move out
).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts