Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had awful constipation with dd and never could find relief. I used to cry everytime I had to use the bathroom and dreaded going over to other people's houses. I especially hate going to my MIL's house; she keeps her plunger in the garage, so I have to walk all the way through the house with it. Letting everyone know that I'm having bathroom trouble. Anyway long story short I would love some new ideas as I am already having problems. Here are some things I have already tried:
I drink a glass of prune juice everyday as well as eat a handful of prunes. Eww!
I have a bowl of high fiber cereal everyday.
I try to eat lots of veggies.
A few times I went with milk of magnesia, but it wasn't my favorite and didn't help much.
I drink plenty of water.

TIA

·
Registered
347 Posts
Oh that is so sad!
I have been having it a bit too and my Midwife told me yesterday that Black Cherry Juice is just as good as prune juice....
She also said eating things like Kefir and Miso can be good for keeping things moving and helping to prevent bacteria when things are slow.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I haven't BTDT, but have you thought of trying an NT style diet? No sugars or processed grains, plenty of fats(especially animal fats and butter), raw milk etc. If you have a small dairy near you, they may occasionally have raw colostrum available if you ask -- I know colostrum can cause loose stools...other than that it sounds like you've tried everything else I would suggest.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would so much rather have black cherry juice, thanks. I didn't know about the kefir and miso, I'll have to try those. I would try an NT diet if we could afford it. We have a limited grocery budget and can't afford anything but processed grains. Just writing that sound ridiculous. I pay less for them to treat my food more.
: Oh well. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamabear&babybear
I would so much rather have black cherry juice, thanks. I didn't know about the kefir and miso, I'll have to try those. I would try an NT diet if we could afford it. We have a limited grocery budget and can't afford anything but processed grains. Just writing that sound ridiculous. I pay less for them to treat my food more.
: Oh well. Thanks for the ideas.
Well, have you thought of cutting out grains almost entirely(like I still have cheapo oatmeal for breakfast a lot, but I just put applesauce or fruit in it instead of sugar)? I buy beef bones for broths that are really cheap(1.29 per lb I think) -- I make soups or stews out of this in a crockpot..then you can thicken it after the fact to make gravies or sauces. I've got a deal with a local dairy that I get 2-3 gallons of raw milk per week for cheap or even free sometimes when it is close to "expiring" -- when the owner found out I was trying to breastfeed twins she set this up with me...cause there was no way I could afford more than one gallon per week at $8 per gallon. Just a thought -- we get by on about $60..could probably do $50 per week if we had to...but that's just me, dh -- my two 9.5 month olds don't really eat that much, probably a banana per day between them, they share my oatmeal and whatever soup/broth we eat. Anyway, the point is that even on a limited budget you might be able to cut out the grains(cause those things can really plug you up IME). Good luck w/the pregnancy!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I know a little how you feel. It's so uncomfortable.
I had a few weeks of problems and then everything got a little loose. I'm still trying to figure out what it was that did it.
It's either
-the yellow dock I'm just started taking for iron
-the 50 mg zinc I'm taking for no stretch marks, support against B-strep, etc
-lingering repercussions to some bad salmon I had a week ago

Anyway, FWIW, that's what my experience has been.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Oh oh oh... I was SO constipated the last pg... I eat a lot better now than back then, so I'm thinking that's why I am not having as much trouble now... I just never have that problem when I'm not pregnant, in fact if I ate as much fiber as they recommend, I'd have no time for anything but sitting on the can!!

Flax meal can be really helpful, you can put it on cereal, in cookies, baked things, and it's got a really neutral flavor so you could hide it in a lot of stuff. A lot of the kashi breakfast cereals have a ton of fiber in them and that helps too.

I hear what the other posters are saying, but upping the fiber is really what helped me get through last time... I was allowed to take Colace too (a stool softener you can get over the counter) and metamucil... in the end the only thing that helped was not being pg anymore

I joked that it was good practice for pushing out the baby

·
Registered
495 Posts
OMG, I was so with you on this one... I was told too use Colace too help me, I am having this issue big time right now, Last night.. I thought I was going too die

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Flax oil mixed in with keifer will get you moving!I would not eat anyother diary unless its raw or in yogurty probiotic form. just my .02

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
A lot of good suggestions, so far. Definitely eliminitating most dairy will help - but keeping kefir and yogurt and other probiotics (real saurkraut also has probiotics).

Flax oil and other fiber will help too. But remember the more you up your fiber, the more you need to up your water intake - otherwise too much fiber (without enough water) can backfire a bit and actually make it worse.

Stool softeners such as colace are safe in pregnancy as well, as people have said.

Another thing that I haven't seen mentioned is caffeine. Too much caffeine is not healthy in pregnancy, but 1-2 cups of coffee a day is generally considered fine - even healthy. And one of those health benefits is that it helps keep your intestines moving.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for all the suggestions and for letting me know that I'm not the only one. I do take flax seed oil although with my m/s I haven't been consistent, for some reason it makes my m/s worse. I like the coffee idea, does decaf work as well? Also does it have to be raw black cherry juice? Last night my dh said that he thought raw black cherry juice is worse than prune juice. I'm so glad that at least this time around I have you all to talk to!! Don't know what I would do without MDC!!

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Popping in from the Oct ddc...

You said plenty of water, but how much is that? How many oz do you know for sure you drink per day? If you don't do much activity, don't drink any caffine, and stay fairly cool; you should be drinking half your weight in oz. If you do any of the above, you need to add much much more water. Plus, you should drink extra water since you're pregnant anyway. Your urine should be almost clear (if not clear) and shouldn't smell at all. You can check it every once and a while by peeing into a clear glass (I have one reserved just for pee, btw
) so it's not diluted by the toilet water. I drink my weight in oz, if not more. It may seem hard, but once I got into the habit, I really enjoy it. If you can't stand tap water, get bottled water. Cut out other expenses to be able to get the water. I buy a 6 pack of 20 oz bottled water, drink them, fill them back up with our softened water, and freeze them just slightly. I prefer them not to have chunks of ice, but thin ice chips. Makes it soooo good.

Once I started drinking this much water, all my sweet cravings went away. I can't even finish a soda now, they gross me out. I used to want candy of some sort at least once a week. I haven't had any in over two months. I never want to drink anything else now. PLUS, I'm not constipated anymore. I've had the little rabbit poops/chunky hard poop practically my whole life, but not anymore.

If it were me, I would calculate how much water you drink one day. Don't do anything different. Just write each full glass down so that you can tally them up at the end of the day. You're probably drinking way less than you think.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kathryn, you made me think on that one and had to figure it out for sure. On my worst days I drink half my weight in oz and on my best days I drink more than my full weight in oz. Though that's good to keep in mind as I gain weight. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Amy,

The coffee must have caffeine -as that is what has the laxative effect. It doesn't have to be coffee, but it must have caffeine. In moderation of course.

And Kathryn is right, if you are adding caffeine you will need to up your water intake a bit as well as caffeine can be dehydrating....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Flax. Not just the oil either, I mean flax seeds or meal. You can make flax muffins if you have to, or flax crackers.

Be sure to drink lots of water. Some peoples definition of "lots" of water is different from others.. and you can lose track and not be sure how much you are drinking. (not that you are doing that, of course
)

Up your raw veggie intake. Raw veggies have more fiber and enzymes for digestion. Lots of cooked food can slow down and inhibit digestion. Raw fruit as well... apples, etc.

Decrease wheat & wheat gluten, as both are constipating. Dairy (especially cheese) is also very constipating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is going to sound stupid but Cafeine Free Dr.Pepper sends me running to the bathroom. Worth a shot.

I wish I could eat the fiber, if I eat anything high fiber I get sick. I'm battling the big D on occassion this pg, which is a total shift because last pg I waddled to the wal-mart at 7am to get an enema so that I could find relief before I embarassed myself by showing up at the ER asking to have it surgically removed. That was horrid!!!

Drink water till you float is my only other suggestion sounds like you've tried it all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only thing i'd add to that list is fruits as well...especially since it's the season to get great fresh fruit. i, too, was having what seemed like life-threatening potty experiences. i've implemented many of the things listed above (high fiber breakfast with lots of water, cutting back on dairy, increasing leafy greens, etc), but i think the magic for me has been eating nectarines and plums (or apples and pears) when i can get them cheap and fresh. And when that's not happening, i keep dried apricots on hand. Good luck! By the way, beware of Colace. If used too long your body can become dependent on it and cause further problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, this has REALLY worked for me in the past.

Drink a LOT of grape juice (any color, as long as it's pure grape juice) and add a teaspoon of CRYSTALLINE VITAMINE C to it. Alongside, eat a large bowl of leafy green salad (I only use vinager and oil as a topping).

This will get you going like speed racer. heheheheh Um.. make sure you don't go too far from the bathroom. This one cleared me out about 3-4 hrs later.

edit: you can repeat the grapejuice with teaspoon of C as often as you want. The crystalline C won't hurt you. I don't use the buffered kind, and in grapejuice, it just makes it a little more tangy.

Good luck!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts