Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 month old keeps dropping on the growth curve. She was 6 lbs 8 oz at birth and at 11 months she is 17 lbs 5 oz. At her 9 mo she was 16lb 12 oz so she did gain but very, very little. She nurses all the time too and is up 1 to 2 times a night. I feed her solids and things like cheese, yogurt, ice cream...I just don't know why she isn't gaining that much. Ped was only slightly concerned and said give it another month and then we may have to do blood work. I don't want her to have blood work done. I don't vaccinate and would rather not have to puncture her with needles at all.

Maybe she is nursing too much and using up too many calories to do it? I think I have okay milk supply. I still use a nipple shield and always see milk in it when she pulls off.

Her older sister has weight issues as well and at the age of 7 she is 37 lbs. I am hoping she is just taking after her. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Lisa

· Registered
1,632 Posts
I am no expert on weight gain in babies. But I can tell you this. Mi little girl was born 8 lbs 12 ounces. At 9 months she was 16lbs 11 and at 12 months she was 18lbs 6. Niether her Ped. or I are concerned. Especailly since there are lots of tiny people in the family. My DD is hitting all her mile stones. Plus she started walking which slows down gain a little. She seems to just be tiny like her Nanny and her aunts. I personally would not be concerned unless there were other indicators other than a slow gain. I personally wouldn't cut down on nursing those are some good fat filled calories! Good luck!

· Banned
946 Posts
My almost 3-year-old was born 6 lbs 11 oz and weighed 17 lbs on her first birthday. Now she only weighs 25 lbs.

She only gained 2 lbs between 6 months and 12 months. I've never been worried about it because she was super energetic, looked healthy and met her milestones.

· Registered
4,325 Posts
My dd was 7lb 15oz at birth, and weighed 17lb 8oz at 12 mos. She still (25mos) hasn't tripled her birthweight (she was 22lb 9oz at her 24 mos).

She's fine. She's happy, she's healthy, she's ahead on all milestones. Far more important is how your daughter behaves. Does she have energy? Enough pees/poops? Hitting milestones? Generally seem happy?

FTR, I have low supply (tubular breasts), and I supp'd with her from 6 days on, so, there has NEVER been a question of her getting enough food. We fed her whenever she woke up. She's just a slow gainer, and it's probably genetic (DH is very skinny, my mom was very skinny) - she never had the chubby baby look (she was 21 1/4 in when she was born, so she looked skinny even then
).

If you want to try to get more into her, go for very calorie/fat dense foods. Scramble an egg yolk in olive oil. Cheese and full-fat yogurts are good. Avocados. Sunbutter (sunflower seed spread). I really wouldn't worry too much, though, in the absence of anything else worrisome.

· Registered
2,122 Posts
I had one that was 18 lbs at a year.

He just has always been thin. Even now, he is thin, but he is also very tall so his weight is moving up in the charts with his height.

When you look at her what do you think? Is she developing normally? Peeing and pooping enough? Shiny hair, healthy skin, pink gums, etc? What does your gut say?

There could be something subtle like food allergies or silent reflux. It could also be that she is just small.

It is also very very normal for breastfed children to NOT gain weight for SEVERAL months between 6 and 12 months. They tend to gain quickly the first 6 months and then really slow down compared to formula fed infants. So check her against the WHO charts, not the american charts.

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is developing, been rarely sick, hitting milestones, super happy, great hair and pink gums. She does have exzema but I have it too really bad. Her sister has silent reflux and is being treated for it but I am not 100% sure that Brianna has it. She loves to eat and eats all the time and nurses a lot. I guess I won't freak. I think I just make little babies/kids.

Lisa

· Registered
252 Posts
<They tend to gain quickly the first 6 months and then really slow down compared to formula fed infants. So check her against the WHO charts, not the american charts.>
That's an excellent suggestion. I've read that Canada is dropping the use of the CDC growth charts (yes, the ones that are suppose to be more 'breastfeeding friendly'). The article said that Canadian Drs felt that the growth charts weren't accurate. This was because babies that were receiving formula, in addition to breastmilk, were considered breastfed babies. They didn't use exclusively breastfed babies. So these babies tended to be much heavier than exclusively breastfed babies. They're going to use the WHO growth charts. It really is more accurate. Sue

· Registered
5,001 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
so, there has NEVER been a question of her getting enough food. We fed her whenever she woke up. She's just a slow gainer, and it's probably genetic (DH is very skinny, my mom was very skinny) - she never had the chubby baby look (she was 21 1/4 in when she was born, so she looked skinny even then
).
I think this is key - it's true, some babies grow slower than others when supplied with an abundant source of food. They are awesome self regulators and take in just what they need. Katheek's baby looks like one of those

But not all baby's are slow gainers. Some grow slowly because they aren't getting enough milk - and their 'natural' growth pattern would be to grow at a much faster rate. That's why it is so important to have a good LC check out the situtation, assess milk transfer, talk about milk supply etc in a baby who isn't growing in a typical way. Maybe the baby is a slow grower, or maybe there is a hidden reason, like a tongue-tie.

· Registered
6,949 Posts
My dd was born 5 lb 13 oz. At a year she was 18 lbs, the 7th percentile. At almost 3 years old she is 33 lbs. I always had a more than abundant supply. It's how she was meant to grow. I know most grow fast up front then slow down, but in my dd's case, she was slow to gain and now is gaining more that she can sit and concentrate on stuff as she gets older instead of being a constant tornado.

· Registered
401 Posts
My oldest was 22 lbs at age 2. At 5 she is barely 33 pounds. But that is okay! She is really healthy and strong and full of energy and intelligence and vitality.

As long as eyes are bright, milestones are being met, and there is no visible sign of malnutrition like dull/brittle hair, weakness, lethargy, etc. just keep doing what you're doing. We do smoothies with lots of yummy avocadoes, cod liver oil, strawberries, bananas, etc. Just toss it all in! They don't care, and believe me I have the two pickiest eaters on the planet.

That said, my younger daughter (38lbs at 3!) does way better with no dairy: some kids just can't tolerate it. She always had weird poops, was a terrible sleeper, eczema, and so on. Once we got rid of dairy it all cleared up. Well the eczema cleared up about 75% and she's not a perfect sleeper, but much better than she was.

So sometimes a food intolerance can cause malabsorption issues. Worth eliminating dairy for a few weeks and just see if she has an increased appetite or just seems to be gaining better. Because if they get the runs the food just races through and the body can't absorb the nutrients properly. Or if they are gassy or their tummy hurts they eat less because they are uncomfortable.

My older daughter has no problem with dairy. But my younger can't handle even a trace. I had to cut it out of my diet as well because it was going through my milk.

Hugs,

-V.

· Registered
6,300 Posts
Babies after 6 mos should be gaining at least an oz a week, that's only gaining a # every 4 mos, so I wouldn't be concerned. Also, a leading cause of reflux is food allergies. Have you tried taking dairy out of her diet? Allergies can also inhibit growth.

· Registered
401 Posts
They're perfect! I think some kids are just big and some are just small. Do they run around, jump, climb, laugh, play? Then don't worry. Does their muscle tone seem to be okay? Pee/poo output within normal range?

I would post pics here of my chunky monkey and my skinny minnie but I don't know how. PM me if you want me to email you a picture of a perfectly healthy 33lb 5 year old and an equally healthy 38lb 3 year old!

Being very slim does not necessarily equal being weak or unhealthy.

Wide range of normal. Might have to add that to my sig.

-Vijay

· Registered
15 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by evergreenmom View Post
She is developing, been rarely sick, hitting milestones, super happy, great hair and pink gums. She does have exzema but I have it too really bad. Her sister has silent reflux and is being treated for it but I am not 100% sure that Brianna has it. She loves to eat and eats all the time and nurses a lot. I guess I won't freak. I think I just make little babies/kids.

Lisa
Silent reflux? What are the symptoms? My older daughter is 6 and a half and only weighs 38 lbs. I just about have to force her to eat. My baby is pretty skinny too. I struggled a little with low supply in the begining but now that I am back to work full time she rarely even takes all of what I pump from a bottle. I'm only five foot half inch but am pretty heavy at 140lbs, and my husband is 6ft and only 165. My girls must have taken after me for the height and dad for the build... I think I'm in the same boat as you. Little babies/kids.

· Registered
15 Posts
Oh my gosh! Noelle has frequent tummy aches and super-stinky breath all the time too. The other day she actually said to me "mommy my throw up came up to my throat and then it went back down". I just figured it was something she ate. I am going to have to talk to her pediatrician. She is just so quick to write everything off and say "she's just fine"... To me going all day with out eating much more than a handfull of pretzels doesn't sound fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.