Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got sloppy prefolds :LOL
I've tried jelly roll and newspaper folds on my oldest DD with my toddler prefolds and a snappi.

The only problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get the thighs tight enough to stay that way. Is there a trick to folding or fastening that will help with this? I read through Karen's diaper pages and didn't see anything on this.

I'm certain that toddler is the right size for her, so it's not a size issue.

I don't have any pins, yet, but that's just because I'm new to prefolds and I'm just experimenting and having a little diapering fun. The snappi seems to work better than I thought it would - the waist is plenty tight.

(and where is your favorite place to buy Dritz pins?)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know what jelly roll or newspaper folds are but I do two basic folds. I either twist the dipe or I fold it in thirds (back wider than the front). With the first fold, I snapi at the waist b/c the thighs just seem to be tight already and I only ever have trouble with leakage from the back. With the second fold, I fasten just above the hips. Fastening it at the hips instead of the waist virtually stopped any leakage at the thighs.

With both folds, I really shape the dipe to her legs. My dipes always hold just a bit better than dh's as a result.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
No matter what fold I use, and I have tried them all, I can never get a tight fit around the thighs. It drives me nutty because my son has these huge, sloppy looking prefolds on and I just end up kicking myself and pissing the baby off as I try to make the thighs tighter.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Whatever fold I am using, I find the best way to get a good fit around the thighs is to have the diaper higher in the back and shorter in the front. Then, when I snappi it seems to pull the diaper up in front and more snug around the thighs.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
Whatever fold I am using, I find the best way to get a good fit around the thighs is to have the diaper higher in the back and shorter in the front. Then, when I snappi it seems to pull the diaper up in front and more snug around the thighs.
That is what I do. I use the jellyroll fold and I fan out the front just before I snappi it too.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
nak
I agree. The front needs to be a little lower.
I too like to fan out the wings before pulling over. I also like to really get a good sretch with the snappi. And in my opinion pins aren't as tight. I love our snappis. wiith the bikini twist I get a good snug fit , and with the angel fold- I find the key is fanning the wings. and I also like to snappi one side-pull alot while holding th ediaper in place, snappi the third leg, then snappi the other side. Then radjust the third leg. I find the diaper can't "get away" from me that way with ds trying to roll over constantly!hope that makes sense
:LOL

·
Registered
951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
This is what I do too. Prefolds hold so much better that way.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Here is what I do:

I do the angel fold. So you lay the baby on the open diaper. Then you fold the sides in and pull it up front. But! Before you pull it up front you make sure the sides are folded all the way up and under the baby's bum a bit. Then when you pull it up front you have lovely little leg gussets!
Then you pin or snappi and voila!

Does that make sense?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.