Mothering Forum banner

Another "pregnant and nursing" thread...need advice, please!

564 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  merpk 
Sarah,
Hope you're hanging in there with the nursing pain!! It sounds like you are really trying to meet your DS's needs, which can be tough to do during pregnancy. I'm 20 weeks pg and I don't think I have any more milk, either. DS's nursing pattern has changed, too, he might suck effectively for 2 or 3 minutes, then it changes to the 'comfort-sucking' you are talking about, which I cannot bear for longer than a few minutes. I was surprised by how comfortable my DS was with limiting our nursing, but he is 31 months now, a bit older than your DS.
I found that once DS was down to nursing only once a day, it was much less painful for me. If your DS responds positively to substitutes, Dad reading books, drives in the car, field trips to the park, then you are still meeting his needs. You'll know if he really needs to nurse, 'cause he will be very single-minded and vocal about it

You have nursed your DS on demand for almost 2 years, so I bet he has a pretty hearty immune system. I don't know anything about the tea that was mentioned, but it might be worth a try. There is a good book out there about herbs and it includes info about their safety during pregnancy, it was just published this summer. I will have to hunt down the title and get back to you!
I have found that nursing during pregnancy changes the relationship because you have to find a balance that meets both of your needs, much harder to do than when you are able to freely meet the demands of your toddler.
Take care,
Steph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.