Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have two midwives, switching back and forth at this point because due to a scheduling snafu, my main midwife will be on vacation for 10 days near my due date. I'm 36 weeks right now. In retrospect, as much as I like midwife #1, I wish I switched full time to #2 because they send me mixed signals, like the following --

At 6 weeks, my hematocrit was initially kind of low, though not alarmingly. I don't remember the number. Midwife #1 was mildly concerned, told me to start eating more meat, wheat grass, etc., which I did, and I felt much better. When I showed midwife #2 the numbers, she said it was no biggie, normal to be a little anaemic at that point.

So then at 28 weeks I had more blood drawn, and my hemo had diluted, was a little lower. Midwife #1 said this was great, an anti-toxemia sign, and suggested I keep working on the wheat grass, etc. to build my energy, which I have been. I eat a lot of spinach, too, for iron and whatnot, and am in general eating a very healthy diet. Overall I've been feeling great this whole time, though I sleep like 10-12 hours a day by now or else I'm exhausted. I thought this was a normal pregnancy thing, though, you sleep a lot near the end. But anyway, midwife #2 finally saw the numbers of the 28 week blood and said ooh, that's kind of low. I told her I had been working on it, and she said good.

Can you see how this confuses and worries me?

I had blood drawn again this week to check hemoglobin again (I think it was hemoglobin and not hematocrit), and now I'm nervous about the results (not in yet). It's the standard blood draw schedule for midwives in this state.

So what's going on here, exactly? Another thread about someone getting dropped by midwives at 38 weeks for low iron got me wondering. You can probably see that I only understand this on a foggy, conceptual level. So if anyone can make sense of it to me, I'd really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
What are the actual numbers?
It's normal to be a little anemic, but not to the point where you're tired and sleepy all the time and not thinking clearly.
Have you been given a supplement?
The thing with low hemoglobin is you can feel really crappy after the birth and have a much harder time recovering from blood loss.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.