Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aloe plant that i got from a friend... does it prefer to be inside or out---wet or dry---when can I use the aloe from the plant without shocking it

Sorry.... i just don't know anything about aloe and haven't done any research yet... figured i'd ask the experts first

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Aloe can be grown inside or out, depending on where you live of course, if you live north bring it in when the chill comes back in the air. They like a nice sunny window inside, and sun outside too. Its best to let it dry out a bit between waterings, it should be pretty easy to test the moisture with your finger tip, if its still a little damp wait a day or so. You should be able to use the gel from it right away without harming it. Just use a sharp pair of scissors to make a clean cut, that way it'll heal nicely. Of course you don't want to cut too much at any one time, but its pretty hardy. All in all aloe is one of the easiest potted plants to keep.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have so much aloe! I did have quite a bit of it freeze this past winter because I moved and it really froze here. Disappointed but still have a lot. Very easy to maintain. I grow mine in pots outside and move it inside when it gets too cold. Was fooled last year after thinking we were past freezing and put everything outside, just to have a hard freeze.

I just break off a big piece as I need it. Last week I was really sunburned and used quite a bit. It also is one of the only things I can put on my face because it is so natural. I have very sensitive skin and can layer it on my face and it feels great.

I love my aloe, but I admit, I do not do much at all to maintain it and it does so well that way. It is one of those plants that does well left alone, with a little water every now and then.
It can even get really dry in between waterings. I do not think too much watering is good...it can rot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah.... I have the plant outside, but I think it may be getting too much water. It is very hot down her in Augusta, GA; but, it has been raining a lot. Hmmm... I'll have to watch the soil and see if I am going to bring it in. I like to have plants outside, so they can get their water from rain--it is much better for water conservation. I want to get or make a rain barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.