Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I just read this really interesting article about something called the Ikea effect.  Basically doing something yourself makes your pleasure in the end result greater than if you had someone else do it for you.  Some researchers have applied this to food and find people who cook from scratch eat less than people who eat convenience and fast foods.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We know people who eat whole foods and particularly TF foods are able to comsume less calories because the food is so nutrient dense, but I can see how the whole pleasure thing fits in too.  My family almost nevers eat out anymore despite there being several affordable options with decent food around here in because we enjoy our homecooked meals more.  It ends up just not being worth it. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, heres the link to the <a href="http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/11/why-making-dinner-is-a-good-idea/" target="_blank">article</a>. </p>

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
<p>It's true that your meals at home become more pleasurable than meals eaten out, we can now make most dishes better than any restaurant we might think of going to!</p>

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
<p>well, I hope it's true because I've just started having local organic produce that is already paid for delivered once a week and it IS more work (than opening a bag of frozen veg) so I'm spending more time in the kitchen ... I do think that i STILL eat more than I should ... but hoping that the "feel good" factor of knowing there's no pesticides and stuff in the produce will help me relax and enjoy food more & eat less of it from stress !!!</p>

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
<p>That's interesting. And while I can see the appeal of "slow food" I take no pleasure whatsoever in trying to put Ikea furniture together.</p>

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
<p>David Lebovitz, an American chef living in Paris - he writes FANTASTIC ice cream recipes and cooks all sorts of rich, fatty good things - has a rule that says "Eat whatever you want, as long as you make it yourself". The idea is if you have to go out, buy the ingredients - and a lot people in France bike or walk to do that - and then spend several hours concocting, say, a perfect batch of French fries, you'll not only enjoy the food more, but you won't want to do it every day. :p Makes a lot of sense to me! Of course, he's coming from the "fries are bad" perspective, whereas a TFer might cook them in bacon grease or something and consider them a health food par excellence. But still! I certainly wouldn't eat as many custard squares if I had to make them myself, and others might find the same with doughnuts or pies or whatever. (Dessert of any kind, perhaps... I just don't have the time or energy to make it that often any more!)</p>
<p> </p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts