Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Sep4.html

Quote:
The vast majority of the 2.7 million job losses since the 2001 recession began were the result of permanent changes in the U.S. economy and are not coming back, which means the labor market will not regain strength until new positions are created in novel and dynamic economic sectors, a Federal Reserve Bank of New York study has concluded.

The findings by Erica L. Groshen, an assistant vice president at the New York Fed, and Simon Potter, a senior economist, will be sobering news to policymakers scrambling to reverse the longest hiring downturn since the Depression. The conclusions of the study, which was published last week, were underscored yesterday by two Labor Department reports showing a surge in corporate productivity even as work hours are plunging.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Yup.

2.3 million manufacturing jobs.................

Remember Ross Perot talking about NAFTA??

That crazy lil' Texan with the big ears?

"What you'll hear will be a big giant sucking sound"................

WOOOSSSSHHHHHH

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Wow El I can't believe that Ross was right ( he kind of annoyed me).

But now I've read somewhere that many of the original jobs sucked down to Mexico and other central and South American nations are moving overseas to Asia where its even cheaper - leaving behind even poorer nations.

Bless the Corporate America

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears his record of running enterprises into the ground remains, to this date, flawless. Well, that's not quite true - I don't believe he left Texas in a total shambles. But I won't finish my thought with respect to that last sentence.

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Having taken an 80% pay cut, after over a year of being unemployed, I know what I speak of...

My condolences!!!

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:
This is why Bush is already gone. A lot of the people that voted for him the first time are out of work now, and will not be fooled twice.
Do you really think so? I would like to think that, but it doesn't seem to be true.
: And it really steams me up. It seems like the people who have lost the most under the current regime are often the most vehminent Bush supporters. I see this esp w/the military.

What does everyone else think? Will Bush really be out in 2004, or am I just dreaming?

Kay

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Crap I had a post all ready to go and the cable went out............

Anyway, I'll join you in the pessimist's box SoapMaven. All week I've been hearing abt a survey done of Dems and the majority could not name one candidate !!!
That frightens the hell out of me!!

I, too, will be interested in why any would support Bush TODAY. But, I would put real money down betting that the bottom line would be the same - anti-abortion. I said before and I'll say again that one-issue voters should be ashamed of themselves...........the office deserves MUCH more consideration than that.

Just brewed a gallon of chai, would you like a cup?

El

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
who the Democrats run against Bush, any one of them will beat him easily. As bad as things are now, they are sure to be considerably worse by election day, and he will get trounced.

And, if I'm wrong, which I suppose has to happen eventually, I will take solace in the knowledge that many of the people that vote for him will experience great pain and suffering from the policies he pursues.
As for me, I'll probably be out of here by then.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Quote:
who the Democrats run against Bush, any one of them will beat him easily. As bad as things are now, they are sure to be considerably worse by election day, and he will get trounced.
Not, if it comes down to the 1 issue again, and, if the Dems don't put up someone really strong. HB, the Christian Coalition is a mighty (one-issued) force, believe me.

Quote:

And, if I'm wrong, which I suppose has to happen eventually,
I sincerely hope this is not the time................

El

1 - 12 of 12 Posts