Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, This is my first post, I have been reading everything on this website here since I found out I was pregnant back in May!

So I am due the middle of January, 16 weeks yay! No morning sickness at all, just exhaustion, but that seems to be getting better.

The reason for my post is that I'm spotting. Actually spotting again. This is the 3rd time i've spotted so far. (never cramping) Once at the very end of May - before my first appointment - for about a week. The second time was the day after I announced my pregnancy to everyone at 12 and a half weeks - 2 days after my sono and good appt with my midwife and heard the heartbeat and felt great. That lasted a week too, and now again since yesterday.

I didn't call my midwife this time because the last two times she seemed so relaxed about it - just told me to take it easy and call if anything gets worse - that most likely it was my placenta trying to keep up with my growing uterus - I actually didn't tell anyone this time because my DH got so worried last time it stressed me out even more!

I just feel like I need to tell someone, maybe I'm fishing for some "it'll be ok"s

I am really not too worried, it's just a little bit, and brown, and no cramping. I wish I could feel the baby move, but it's still early I guess!

I have my monthly appt with my midwife next week, and I can't wait to hear the heartbeat.

I figure at 16 weeks there should be no doubt if I were having a real big problem right?

OH - but I would like all of your advice on one thing... Exercise or not... I have been using an elliptical machine every day for 45 min to an hour. (slow easy pace not killing myself at all)

I feel bad about sitting around all day with my feet up when half of the posts that I read say that resting won't make a difference.

Also, besides that, I have a backpacking trip planned for this weekend, and I was really looking forward to going. Should I cancel?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I spotted twice with my DD. It was so scary! I actually got an ultrasound during one of the episodes because I thought she was gone. . . good news is that she's here and a totally spunky preschooler!

Sometimes spotting means something bad but sometimes it doesn't. One of the times that I spotted I had swam laps vigorously before hand. I called my midwife crying and she said, "honey, if it was that easy to get rid of a pregnancy, there wouldn't be a debate". That was such an important thing for me to hear at the time. Listen to your body and don't push yourself, but stay as active as you're comfortable.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I spotted a few times earlier in this pregnancy - I remember how scary it was!! *hug* I called my midwife each time, worried about it, and she said that as long as everything else is going well (no cramps, no fever, bleeding doesn't get any heavier) it's probably nothing to worry about. She said it's pretty common to have a bit of spotting after sex or if your constipated, or when your placenta is growing. She also said that the chances of having a miscarriage go way down once you've heard the heart beat.

Listen to your body, do what activity you are comfortable with, and call your midwife for reassurance if you need it. That's part of their job!!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Spotting without cramping is generally not a big deal, especially if it's brown and not bright red, but I'd at least call your midwife to let her know. If she's relaxed about it, it's just one more reassurance that everything will be fine, you know? You're not bugging her - it's her job! I always feel bad calling about something, since it almost certainly turns out to be nothing, but I always feel better after I do. That's what she's there for, to provide you with reassurance and care through your pregnancy. It's just one more reason I far and away prefer my midwife to any doctor I've ever had. She never seems like she's in a hurry or just blows off my concerns. Today, mine even talked to me for a half an hour... and it's her day off and she was calling from home!

Resting can help, but probably not right now, since brown blood is older blood. Did you do anything vigorous in the past few days? Sex? Exercise? If so, maybe take it a bit slower.

Most times spotting isn't indicative of a problem, unless it continues for a long time, or gets heavier as time goes by.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If it were me, I'd probably be at the hospital getting an ultrasound done, but only because I'm paranoid from past experiences. If you're stressed about it, or just want some reassurance, can you just go to your midwife and have her listen for that reassuring heartbeat? As far as exercising, if it were me, I'd personally be as "dormant" as possible until I knew what was going on. Other women would have a different take on it, but I would rather take extra precautions than have regrets later.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I spotted on and off until I was somewhere in my 4th month with DD and she's running around behind me as I type. :p

I had some spotting this time around too and my midwife told me that I shouldn't even give it a second thought if it's brown and there's no cramping. If there's a lot, it's pink/red, or you're cramping, then call the midwife, but still don't worry too much. :-D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone, it seemed to have stopped for now... Fingers crossed that it won't come back! I'm still undecided about the trip this weekend, but I can make the call last minute, so I'm not going to worry about it for now.

As far as the exercising goes, I'm going to try to listen to my body as best I can (it never feels like exercising) and just be honest with myself and not use it as an excuse to be lazy if I really feel well...

I figure low impact exercising is probably one of the best things I can do for my body and my baby right now, so i'll be back on the machine tomorrow if everything is still clear!

Thanks so much for letting me vent my worries!!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, Just got back from my backpacking trip! Spotting gone, and being out in nature and getting lots of exercise felt GREAT! My pack belt hardly clipped, so it'll probably be the last backpacking trip for a long long time! I also couldn't sleep on my stomach! At home on a bed it's still fine, but on the hard ground with only my little therma-rest mat, my belly was totally in the way!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.