Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really beginning to tick me off. I saw on the news tonight that five more Thomas wooden railway toys have been recalled due to lead paint. Ds1 loves these toys, they're his absolute prized possessions. And now we're in the position of having to take them away. I was willing to accept that the first recall could have been a fluke. We got rid of the recalled toy we had (which was unfortunately one of his favorites), and life went on. But now that there's been another recall, I don't know about these toys anymore. I feel like if I buy any more, I'm going to be wondering if we're going to have to throw it out in a month. Heck, I'm already wondering if the toys we still have are going to be recalled soon. It breaks ds1's heart to lose these things; he doesn't understand lead paint or that it could poison him or his little brother. I think all Christmas presents this year are going to be ordered from a few carefully chosen companies. What a pain in the butt.
:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry! I meant to post that; Jennifer Garner's on Letterman right now and I'm distracted trying to listen in to see if any lactivist gems come out on air.

The link to the cbs news story, which lists the recalled toys, is http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...e=search_story

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Its just a couple more items. Check http://recalls.rc2.com/ for all the info. I am not surprised at all. This means they are testing the other products they have out there. Overall I am mad about the lead paint in the first place. Testing should have been done before toys were put into the hands of children. But not annoyed that there is a second recall. And while it does not make it all better, it is decent of them to pay for the shipping and send replacements and a free gift.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
And while it does not make it all better, it is decent of them to pay for the shipping and send replacements and a free gift.
The free gift we were sent after returning our previous recalled toys is on the new recall list.
Perhaps we could marked the first error up to goodfaith errors, but then to send a tainted toy as a replacement for the other tainted toys??? We were sent Toad, and I even called the company to check the number on the bottom to confirm they really did send us one of the newly recalled toys as a replacement. I'm so mad!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've been pretty annoyed about the whole situation. I'm glad they are testing them, and replacing them. But they should have tested them before they ever sold them.

I'm glad I saw this thread though because we have one of the trains. So now I have to once again explain to my ds why I have to take his toys away.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojumi View Post
The free gift we were sent after returning our previous recalled toys is on the new recall list.
Perhaps we could marked the first error up to goodfaith errors, but then to send a tainted toy as a replacement for the other tainted toys??? We were sent Toad, and I even called the company to check the number on the bottom to confirm they really did send us one of the newly recalled toys as a replacement. I'm so mad!!
So the Toad they sent as a free gift is the one that they've recalled?? We got that as our "free" gift too!
:

ETA: At least this time they're paying for the return shipping up front. Last time you had to pay for the shipping and then they hardly reimbursed you for it!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I just looked up Brio 'cause they're a swedish company, but alas their stuff is also being made in China now.
"http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/
web/vortex/display?slug=toyrecall08m&date=20070808"]

(sorry, I don't really know how to do links)

Here is a quote from the Peapods.com blog:

Quote:
So, we are pleased to introduce Whittle Shortline Trains, which are made in Missouri. Not only are these trains very well made, but they offer a very unique appeal for kids. Each wooden train, car and caboose is painted just like real life trains that kids are likely to see everyday. We've picked lines that are common to the upper midwest--Burlington Northern, The Great Northern Railway, the Rock Island Line, Santa Fe, and Wisconsin Central. So, when your child sees a train crossing a viaduct above you, she can spot elements from her own toys at home.
I'm going to let my family know about this website, and the main Whittle site: www.woodentrain.com

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The whole thing makes me so angry! We have like 30+ engines! Which ones are next?! I was on the fence about getting rid of all our Thomas stuff, but not anymore. Seriously, I feel like I am just waiting to find out *more* of them have lead, kwim? Ds isn't that into them anymore, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal to him. No more Thomas stuff here.
:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
fiddlefern- thanks for that website, you just saved our christmas stockings

We have been slowly collecting thomas for about 4 years (each of the boys get a train for christmas and one for their birthdays plus one more in the middle of summer). These are their very favorite toys
: ohh.....this is making me grumpy!!

Given that I spent half my life in other countries, I've never been all that concerned with only buying american. I may be leaning that way in the near future!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
This is totally out of control, we don't have any of the ones recalled this time but come on why aren't these things being tested, how many more toys are going to be recalled, and how many have lead but were never checked out
No more China made toys for us... Sorry for the rant

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddlefern View Post
I'm going to let my family know about this website, and the main Whittle site: www.woodentrain.com
Thanks for posting the link! I'm going to forward that along to the family as well!

I also sent an email to RC2 to let them know of my disappointment over them sending out a lead paint tainted toy as a "free gift" from the last lead fiasco!

ETA: I checked the Whittle website and their trains will work with Thomas/Brio tracks.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by limabean View Post
We just bought the diecast (metal) Toad vehicle -- just to make sure, the one that's being recalled is made of wood, right?
Yes, it is the wooden one with the handbrake. There is a code number in very light grey on the bottom near th train's name -- if you call customer service you can double check to see if yours is or isn't from the lead-based (ha ha grr) batch.

I'm not going to bother to return mine. There's no way I would let my kids play with whatever they sent as a replacement, anyway. (Rusty nails? Arsenic balls?) I did call the company to voice my concerns.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been looking at toys from Magic Cabin and Nova Natural. Magic Cabin usually lists where a toy was made in the description from the catalog, and it's generally Sweden, Germany, or the USA. Nova Natural seems to be pretty conscientious about buying their toys from the USA or western Europe. We already have stuff from both companies and we've been very happy with them.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I am amazed that the free gift you received ended up being in the second recall! Wow. Ours was a different engine, a blue one I think. Its floating around the living room at the moment.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
We also received the "Toad" that was recalled as our "gift". Also, the CPSC website is listing the wrong number for Toad. I'm not sure if they've fixed it yet so make sure that you check the RC2 website.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Since our son is older and past mouthing his hands and toys we chose not to return them, but reseal them with a clear sealant.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.