Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Virtually every u/r story I have heard/read has involved induction. Has anyone heard of a u/r in a vbac mother who was not induced and/or augmented? I am sure they exist, I am just curious. I was googling the other night and most of the really bad stories were induced.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I don't know anyone who ruptured. I have heard though of women who rupture with natural labor, before they even have labor and sometimes with no prior uterine surgery. Induction does increase the odds alot.<br>
I'm sure people here can give you great stats though.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Heyla!<br><br>
If you scroll down the page (<a href="http://www.homebirth.org.uk/vbacinduction.htm" target="_blank">http://www.homebirth.org.uk/vbacinduction.htm</a>) about halfway, you'll find a table from a study on the impact of induction on UR rates. They include UR rates for spontaneous/non-augmented labor.<br><br>
Most studies will also supply the non-induced/non-augmented UR rates as the baseline against which they measure the impact (or lack of impact) of certain interventions. So if you're searching Google (or a free medical database like PubMed) you can often find those UR stats mixed into the results section.<br><br>
The "low end" of the UR rates quoted tend to be taken from non-induced/non-augmented mamas while the "high end" of the UR stats tend to be taken from cases in which the mama is induced/augmented (and/or has an unusual uterine scar).<br><br>
I know you're looking more for personal experiences, but maybe some of the study data will help?

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
There is a uterine rupture tribe over in Finding Your Tribe. I think you'll be able to find what you're looking for there.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My midwife recently gathered her own info on this and found that the rate of u/r for homebirths is actually closer to 1/10000.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When pregnant with #3, my midwife told me of 2 ladies that had u/r at the hospital. Both not induced. First lady was going for a VBAC and ruptured at the hospital, baby and mum fine. Second one was a lady who had scheduled a repeat and ended up rupturing at 33wks for no reason, not in labour. Baby died and she was in ICU for a very long time, she was really sick. Freaked me out a bit as i was going for a HBAC but tried not to think about it.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I know someone IRL who had a non-induced rupture after 2 c/s. The thing about her case is she knew something was wrong while laboring at home. She got to the hospital pleading for a c/s. Baby's heart tones were good so they said "let's wait." They waited until she passed out (30 minutes!) to do an emergency c/s. Baby died and she came close. She got to the hospital in time and they failed her.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I had a UR during a non-induced, non-augmented, spontaneous, unmedicated labor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts